My bread looked "weird"

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
could *totally* go for a self-sufficient commune. Except not a commune. More like a barter community. I'll have the rabbits and sheep. You have the chickens and eggs. Someone else has the cows. Another processes wool and leather. Someone else hunts and fishes. Somebody else makes soaps. Somebody has medical training. It would have to be like 20 - 30 families, but it would be sweet.
That is EXACTLY what Im talking about! How awesome would that be!

And OFG can be the dog trainer!:D

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can also look into "intentional communities" and see if you find any you like. Frequently, many of these groups were religious in nature since that was a common bond for all the members. If folks all share a common faith or world view, it probably makes it easier for them to get along.

You also NEED a village to be truly self sufficient. As you noticed, there's the butcher, baker and candlestick maker and for one person to do all those things means about half of them aren't getting done.

I've had folks notice home baked bread in positive and negative ways. Someone came to visit and was complaining about the "weird" bread and why didn't we have any "normal" white bread. Well, he was a youth, so I ignored his rudeness. My DH takes lunches to work or pot lucks and folks always want to see what he's eating and are interesting in getting a taste if they can. Another neighbor came by around lunchtime awhile back and we had rooster soup since there was a huge pot of it on the stove at the time. She's been so excited about actually eating "rooster soup" that she's been telling the rest of the neighborhood that it "tastes just like chicken".

From the sounds of it, though, I suspect those felines at your work place would be catty about just about anything they can think of. I'd ignore them, if they were speaking such to me since they sound very ignorant.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I'm telling ya'll, we need a meeting place when the SHTF! :lol: OK, the end of the world is here! Quick! Pack everything up and head to _____________. :p

My co-workers are facinated by my little "experiments". And alot of the folks (family mostly) who are too busy to try to be a little bit more SS are the first ones to want to try your homemade goodies. My MIL loves my homemade bread but can't be bothered to try making it herself. I have brought samples to work and I have always gotten a great response. More power to us when the power gose out!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
There are still quite a few 'hippie' communes still out there too, some free radical groups too.. They are there, and getting more and more popular! Ecovillage is a new term I think.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
There are still quite a few 'hippie' communes still out there too, some free radical groups too.. They are there, and getting more and more popular! Ecovillage is a new term I think.
"Neosurvivalism" is a new one out there too. Sounds cool. :cool:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Just think Nichole, you and Z could join a commune and have your land and animals already! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I too live and work around mockers of my lifestyle choice. I put it down to ignorance, low mentality and jealousy of something of which they do not understand.

Herd people, sheeple, are amazingly cruel to an individual. They feel so much safer in their little world if everyone is doing as they are doing...this makes them feel they are doing the right thing because~ if everyone else is doing it~ it must be right. :rolleyes:

When they make fun or challenge my "eating my friends" or call me a hippy, which has happened frequently, it merely confirms I am just where I should be in life and doing everything I should be doing~for the opposite of ignorance and low mentality is just where I want to be! ;)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Just think Nichole, you and Z could join a commune and have your land and animals already! :lol:
:lol: The folks I've seen here would make me wanna double layer tin foil hat! I'm paranoid of paranoid people! :p They do have something in the mountains every year called "The Gathering". I bunch of hippies, stonners, whathaveyou get together and they live in tents for a couple of weeks. No money- just trading. I never go because most of the traded items are illegal drugs. It can get dangerous.