My Cypriot grandparents lived a self sufficient and sustainably

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our way of life is unsustainable, as we cannot go on forever with our high energy and consumerist lifestyles because the resources we depend on are not limitless. We must break away from our dependence on oil, on which our food systems are especially reliant.

The world's food supply is heavily dependent on vast amounts of oil to manufacture fertilisers and pesticides which are destroying the soil we depend on. Oil is needed in all stages of food production from planting to harvesting and from processing to distribution. Agriculture and the industrialised food system is now one of the biggest consumers of oil and one of the biggest contributors to global warming.

This is why a growing numbers of scientists are telling us that our way of life is ecologically and economically unsustainable. A few rich countries are depleting the world's resources whilst the majority of the world lives in poverty.

We have in the last 100 years distanced ourselves from the realities of nature and perhaps by looking back to how life was we could learn some lessons.

My grandparents were from a small village in Cyprus and lived off the land. They produced most of their own organic food without any machinery by using manual labour. They kept pigeons, chickens, goats and sheep. My grandmother used a hand loom to make their own clothes from their own wool and cotton. They ground their own flour from their own grain and baked their own bread, using an outdoor mud-brick oven fuelled by gathered wood. They also heated their home in the winter using local wood. Their local transport was by means of horse and cart or donkey and the horse was also used to plough the fields. They needed very little money but any surplus milk or crops they had were sold or bartered for goods and services they needed.

Their diet was based heavily on olive oil, olives, vegetables, fruit, unrefined cereals and foraged wild food. Consumption of meat and dairy products was minimal and food was seasonal. This Cypriot Mediterranean diet resulted in good health and longevity and scientific studies have shown that this traditional diet was nutritionally very balanced and met the bodies needs.

There was no electricity or running water in the village until the late 1940's. Village life was simple and communal, the villagers worked the fields daily and tended to their animals and chickens which provided them with meat, eggs and milk. Goats milk was their most valuable product as it allowed them to produce halloumi or hellim a Cypriot cheese used for centuries. Winter diets were predominantly made up of preserved dried pulses and legumes.

They had vine groves and as well as enjoying the fruit, they made their own wine and zivania which is a traditional Cypriot distillate produced from the residue of grapes pressed during wine making.

However, it was not all good and my grandparents generation sometimes suffered hardship and deprivation if crops failed. Their children, like many thousands on Cypriots, left for a better life to the UK, Australia or the USA. Although we cannot go back to being subsistence farmers, we can learn some lessons from our near past:

We can reduce our consumerist lifestyles, be more self reliant, and live more cooperatively in small scale local sustainable economies.

We can focus on providing a life which is safe, comfortable and efficient but which is not wasteful or damaging to the environment.

We can as individuals and nations focus on growing as much of our own organic food as possible and move away from the madness of transporting food all over the globe.

Maybe this is all a bit idealistic but will we have a choice.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think any life is sustainable 'forever'

history taught us that even without any intervention, animals become extinct due to natural causes. weather extremes eventually happen to change all life as it has done ions ago.

I think people are obviously adding to a 'shorter' existence, but I also believe that people will rally and fix alot of problems. we have to, we have no choice.

if everyone does small slow steps toward better stewardship of this planet, maybe we can accomplish 'some more time'---:hu

the world is global and there is no going back, best we can do is control what we can at this point.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I just went to your blog. What a great food and lifestyle heritage you have! I so LOVE your olive tree! I know you said you have four but the picture was just of an individual one. I tried to grow one in a pot here but that didn't work out so well.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

history taught us that even without any intervention, animals become extinct due to natural causes. weather extremes eventually happen to change all life as it has done ions ago.

I think people are obviously adding to a 'shorter' existence, but I also believe that people will rally and fix alot of problems. we have to, we have no choice.

if everyone does small slow steps toward better stewardship of this planet, maybe we can accomplish 'some more time'---:hu

the world is global and there is no going back, best we can do is control what we can at this point.
I think we are sliding towards it being to late for small slow steps

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Nature ebbs and flows. We are aiming for longevity then we have to work WITH the planet and see how it goes.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't believe in global warming, but I do believe in personal responsibility not only to the earth in general, but to the next generation.

If 50% of Americans(and other technologically advanced people groups) would grow even 50% of their own food...we'd make one massive dent in overall global consumption especially consumption of fossil fuels. Sad thing is, folks don't have the time or the knowledge to even try it, much less successfully DO it anymore. But could you imagine?

If American public schools would just teach something worth learning..... :lol: I seriously think a kid should have to grow a head of lettuce in order to graduate :lol: Well...they have to know Algebra...I think lettuce is much more useful personally ;)

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I don't believe in global warming, but I do believe in personal responsibility not only to the earth in general, but to the next generation.

If 50% of Americans(and other technologically advanced people groups) would grow even 50% of their own food...we'd make one massive dent in overall global consumption especially consumption of fossil fuels. Sad thing is, folks don't have the time or the knowledge to even try it, much less successfully DO it anymore. But could you imagine?

If American public schools would just teach something worth learning..... :lol: I seriously think a kid should have to grow a head of lettuce in order to graduate :lol: Well...they have to know Algebra...I think lettuce is much more useful personally ;)
Here here! I made a post about it in the Useful Skills thread, but I said I probably would have made more effort to get better grades in school if I had known I was doing something WORTH IT.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Wannabefree said:

Here here! I made a post about it in the Useful Skills thread, but I said I probably would have made more effort to get better grades in school if I had known I was doing something WORTH IT.
It amazes me what little that our upcoming generation knows...or even cares about. We're going back to homeschooling this year, and DD will learn a few survival/money management skills as extra curriculum. I'm learning a bit in the process as well ;) I want to know what all these "weeds" are in my yard :lol: and their uses, edibility etc.