My dog keeps staring at me

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Usually when he stands and stares at me it means he needs to go out. I have taken him out to pee, and he did. Then I let him out agian later because he would not stop staring at me and he peed again.

At this point in 2 hours, since I got up I have let him out 4 times and he does not want to BE out...he just barks to come back in.

He did start a new thyroid med yesterday.....could that be having a weird impact in him?

He keeps walking to the back door, looking ( at the rain) then he turns around and stares at me. Eventually he comes over to me and stares at me....like 'hello? Are you ignoring me intentionally?' then he will lay down by my feet for a few minutes, then it is back to the door to look out, then strare, come closer to stare, then lay down.

He also seems slightly annoyed with the fire. It was crackling and he kept pacing around it looking at it.

Strange behavior, he is very unsettled this morning. Any ideas? Maybe he is just irritated with the rain?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Our dogs gets ansty like that when it rains, too. It might be a little of everything - feeling a "bit off" from the meds, annoyed by all the tiny, continous sounds. Does he still have an appetite?

Maybe he just needs a good ol' dose of luvin from his momma! :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yep he had breakfast and I have snuggled him with my feet....ok, I am lazy!

Seriously, I have been trying to distract him and keep him relaxed. He just seems really unusually antsy. Maybe you are right FJ, maybe it is just a combo of things :hu

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Keep an eye on him. If after a couple of days he seems to still be antsy, or you notice any weight loss, the dose of his meds may be too high.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Keep an eye on him. If after a couple of days he seems to still be antsy, or you notice any weight loss, the dose of his meds may be too high.
I agree. It sounds like the thyroid meds are way to high.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I was going to say - meds are too high.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
You guys are awesome......when I was thinking about posting this I thought, who really cares that my dog is acting odd, but I posted anyway. As always you are very insightful!

I had not thought about the dose being too high, just that it was altering his normal behavior.

I will keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if he settles down.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do have to say I love this board. Sometimes I've posted questions too, thinking no one would care about something so insignificant, or weird, or whatever. But I've always gotten great replies. :)

I just read the thread as you were posting, and decided not to reply, since my guess also would be maybe his meds need adjusting, or else he is adjusting to getting them, so my reply seemed not needed.

Unless of course you believe in dogs predicting earthquakes. ;)

Just joking on that one, but you DO live in SoCal, and in my fairly brief time living there we got at least one fairly good one. (My bear falling on the cabin roof, LOL)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
You guys are awesome......when I was thinking about posting this I thought, who really cares that my dog is acting odd, but I posted anyway. As always you are very insightful!

I had not thought about the dose being too high, just that it was altering his normal behavior.

I will keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if he settles down.
I would make a call to the vet right away.
Its damaging to have too high of a dose.
I have accidentally taken too much desiccated thyroid before.
Its not a pleasant feeling.
It makes you jittery, and actually causes further depression of the thyroid, rather then supporting it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Shiloh, thanks for planting that thought in my brain....where is the earthquake smiley? :lol:

BubB.....he seems to have settled quite a bit, no more pacing. I gave him the med 3 1/2 hours ago , maybe it is wearing off a smudge....it is a twelve hour dose. But I am about to call the vet any way.

Thank you for all the great input....well except for the earthquake bit :thumbsup

Latest posts