My Dream... A Yurt!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I teach yoga and discovered the yurts that way..remote locations have retreats/classes in them. I also ordered the catalog out of curiosity. I think for a vacation spot or a guest home it would great. but not for all year round (get it, round) living.
Hope hubby feels btter :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love the IDEA of living in a yurt - but not sure I would love the actual doing it. Something about the cloth/hide/canvas walls would probably make me feel extremely insecure. And with all the high winds (tornado/hurricane) around here I can just see a tree squishing my yurt. However, we have kicked around the round house idea built out of wood and stone. We even kicked around building it out of aluminum.
Good luck with converting your hubby to the idea. I think its great if you can make it happen.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace-- I a so sorry you got duped on craigslist. It sounds like the people wanted someone to clean their yard for free.. where abouts were you? Vista is an interesting place with a long history. I only moved here in 99. there is a very odd mix of very old homes with new construction and then you have the whole immagrant thing. Other than that it's a prety safe place. We dont even have a police department. We fall under juristdiction of the sherrifs dept. We went on vacation in june. Drove off in the 5th wheel for allmost two weeks. Got home to find we forgot to close the garage door. The big double door that is. We live at the top of a hill in plain view of literally a whole neighborhood. We only have one other house on our 600 ft driveway. No problems. I guess this is the one time the long scarry driveway came in good use. I think the yurt would be fine, besides I used to have a rottweiler. When I can convince the husand I will be getting another. I have never felt safer than with my dog. His name was Tank.

kr, Hubby is on the mend, thanks for the good thoughts he needs them. this past year has been full of challenges for us. Which yurt catalog did you order?

H23, I saw that special with Julia Roberts as well. My facination with yurts started before that. Her travels only reinforced my vision.

FarmerChick, You know as I think back about my life if I had not settled down I probably would be in Europe. I don't think I would have stayed in the states. But like you my practical Aquarian husband keeps me ballanced. As I keep his life jumping. :p I allways have big dreams. It's staying focused on the little atainable ones I need to work on.

Fence fence fence.... I chant this daily... Maybe the fence fairy will grant my wish. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Europe
oh my, imagine all the new adventures that you would be experiencing. Hmm...sometimes when we settle it ain't for the best..LOL-LOL

but a good life for me all in all...LOL

yes, smaller dreams that can get accomplished. When I think of my big dreams, I know most are not going to happen. :( but that is OK cause what I have is great. Why be too greedy right? LOL

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I think yogurt goes with yurts so you could make your own yogurt too.

I think I posted somewhere that I used to live in Vista. I'm trying to picture about where you live but can't quite do it.

I haven't been to Vista in ages. I don't even think I would even recognize it.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby is on the mend, thanks for the good thoughts he needs them. this past year has been full of challenges for us. Which yurt catalog did you order?
I am pretty sure it was the Pacific Yurt Company

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I think yogurt goes with yurts so you could make your own yogurt too.

I think I posted somewhere that I used to live in Vista. I'm trying to picture about where you live but can't quite do it.

I haven't been to Vista in ages. I don't even think I would even recognize it.
Thats funny I do make my own yogurt.
Yes I remember you saying that you lived here before. When and where abouts were you? I have been here since 99. We moved here for more of a rural feel and some elbow room. I bet things are very different than when you were here. Things have changed so much in the last 9 years. What they call downtown redevelopement. The whole stretch of land on Vista Village between th 78 and Santa Fe is all retail, and restaraunts. They did add a reallly nice movie theater as well. Not many open hill sides left though. They also added a Sprinter train. It runs from Cal State San Marcos all the way to Oceanside. I hear its nice. I really have no need for it and the RR crossings kinda suck.
I like it here tough. gina

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I lived on Maryland Drive. It is by Olive Elementary and Washington Junior High. Not too far from Melrose. I lived there from '65 to 71. Vista still had a small town feel to it. I would ride my bike all over the place.

Oceanside Blvd was put through after we moved to Elsinore. There used to be a dump off North Ave. (I think it was North). There used to be an egg ranch behind the junior high. There used to be a dairy between Vista and Oceanside. Is the Pepper Tree still there?

I've been looking at aerial photos. I can recognize a few landmarks but there is lots of change.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I think when you lived here there was much more country atmosphere. We still have many plant nurserys with green houses mixed in the hills. I hope they can make it through this economy. I hate to see all the green spaces dissapear.