My energy efficient house modifications

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
not to thread jack, but anyone interested in making thier own ingots???

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
not to thread jack, but anyone interested in making thier own ingots???
I thought about making some cast aluminum signs a while back but couldn't source cheap quality scrap in any volume. Cans are crap and need a cauldron of boiling aluminum to reclaim them or they will just burn to an ash before liquefying. Aluminum lawn chairs were perfect to get a melting pot going but are hard to find nowadays, extruded window frames and other things like that are alloyed and too hard to deal with.

What do you use?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an interest in gold prospecting. Which lead me to http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/ Nice forums. Can add that into a self sufficent skill as well should the need arise. If you have some welding skills, can work with refactory (concrete), and have acess to used motor oil can make a really nice foundry, melt anything from aluminium to stainless.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
I have an interest in gold prospecting. Which lead...
If you are referring to turning lead into gold then you should confer with the boards chemist as I am not old enough to remember alchemy.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Damn XPC, do you wanna get married? I need a handy husband who will work for free.

(crud, I already have a husband, but nobody needs to know :D )

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Damn XPC, do you wanna get married? I need a handy husband who will work for free.

I can't afford to give all my stuff away again as I won't live long enough to buy it all back for the third time.

And besides the whole idea of having a self sufficient wife is for her to do all the work while I pursue the web for ideas.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wildsky said:

I can't afford to give all my stuff away again as I won't live long enough to buy it all back for the third time.

And besides the whole idea of having a self sufficient wife is for her to do all the work while I pursue the web for ideas.
:gig :gig You will get to keep the stuff, I'll take the house. I'll even consider changing your diapers when it gets to that point.... :celebrate

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Excellent, XPC! Thanks for sharing your project(s) with us.

Do you garden on the side too? :)

Wildsky, I think you may have some competition in Ldychef2K. I believe you will have to master the woven bacon meat log, if you want to have any hope of catching XPC's eye. ;)

Latest posts