My new Kenyan top bar beehive with observation window!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
coooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll.

I want a beehive. Hubby is deathly allergic but my garden wont keep them away, they have nested in my eaves, water meter, trees you name it. I cant shake em so I want to give them a nice home. Just havent had the money, but its on the research and do list. Time and money baby.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I built a TBH out of half a blue plastic barrel I found in one of my storage buildings. It had no fumes or chemicals in it...seems to have been a container for food maybe? On Beemaster.com there is a fellow that has these types of TBHs and the comb comes out in a perfect half moon! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Advantages of Kenyan top bar beehives:

Some things you WONT need:

frames
foundation wax
supers
centrifugal extractor
bottling equiptment
de-capping knife and tray
bee escapes
mouse guards
queen excluders
fancy feeders
space suits
bee blower
gloves
smoker

What you will need:

a hive(s)
a hive tool (or long flexible knife)
a veil

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My book (The Barefoot Beekeeper) says all you really need is white/light colored clothing and a veil. You can have more, but it isn't necessary. (You should be choosing a time of day when the bees are happily preoccupied to open up the hive, so as not to stress them out much. A warm sunny day in the early afternoon is best as long as there are NO thunderstorms predicted later.)

Instead of a traditional smoker, this book suggests a spray bottle with a bit of essential oils mixed in...I have not figured out which eo's they suggest yet though. lol

I'm still reading!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a "support" meeting with my beehive maker and organic beekeeper "Kenny" on October 11th.

If any of you have any questions, let me know and I will jot them down and ask him on 10-11.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beautiful hive.. I know you will enjoy it... thank you for the links.. I'd love a top bar hive one of these days..