My new Kenyan top bar beehive with observation window!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My book (The Barefoot Beekeeper) says all you really need is white/light colored clothing and a veil. You can have more, but it isn't necessary. (You should be choosing a time of day when the bees are happily preoccupied to open up the hive, so as not to stress them out much. A warm sunny day in the early afternoon is best as long as there are NO thunderstorms predicted later.)

Instead of a traditional smoker, this book suggests a spray bottle with a bit of essential oils mixed in...I have not figured out which eo's they suggest yet though. lol

I'm still reading!
They suggest lemon grass EO....I tried it. I'd recommend the smoker. ;) The lemon grass seemed to make the bees more excited and I can see why, as they will sometimes use lemon grass to attract swarms to empty hives. An attractant, not a sedative...as in the bees like to be around you more and get really turned on by the scent. :barnie

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have moved to using sugar water instead of the smoker- mostly because I can't keep the darn thing smoking. Didn't think of an EO. But, I won't use Lemongrass :ep

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
How do they react to being misted with sugar water? What is your ratio?

(note to self, no lemon grass e.o.s! :lol: )

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thats realy odd about the lemongrass being an attractant, ive been using lemongrass joss sticks (Insence) for years at rennaisance faires to keep the wasps, horents and bees away and it works like a charm (and rennaisance faire yellowjackets are MEAN!)
wonder if its something to do with how the leongrass is being "delivered" perhaps the combination of smoke and lemongrass (like in the insence) deters while fresh the sugars in the sap attracts?!
Or maybe differnt sub species of stinging insects and such like diferent things

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beautiful!! I am in my third year of topbar hives and love them :) I believe they may be better for learning about bees since any manipulation is up close and personal, not simply adding or removing boxes without observing the bees. Good luck!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
BBH - I know I have a million questions but right now can't think of a one. Or maybe its just that I don't know enough to ask a intelligent question. (Thats probably it). Anyway, I love your hive and am ordering the Barefoot Bee Keepper(hopefully) soon.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this post and all the great links, bbh! :hugs

Doc and I became interested in top bar hives our first winter out here, after reading an article on them in Mother Earth News. Doc can get all kinds of "scrap" lumber from work and we finally have a dry place to store it so hopefully we can start building our hives this fall/winter since we have a friend who has offered us some of his bees. :fl

Gonna read the links and get some questions together!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread is so helpful to some of you! :) I'll add more information as I read and study, perhaps that will help inspire more questions. My book is full of notes and underlines already!

Thanks Me&thegals! :D

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the sugarwater ration should be 1:1. That worked for me. They were fine with being sprayed. Good luck :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I tried using the sugar water spray and they got really worked up...also in colder temps you may not want to spray water on them because it will affect the temp of the hive. I don't wear any protective clothing at all...just jeans and light colored long sleeves if they are agitated. Keep a pump bottle of hand sanitizer nearby if you are working the hive cause if you do get stung then the sanitizer masks the pheremones and will keep the others from coming after you as well.

We would love to do a topbar hive someday...hubby wants to build one but we want to get through next year with the Langstroth hives before we try a top bar. I can't wait to see your progress though!