My new project!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've posted on here that hubby is going to teach me how to weld. Well, the other day, I was on CL, and someone had a horse trailer for $95.00! I went and looked at it. It was really rough. I knew that it would take a LOT of work to get it road and horse safe, so I asked them if they'd take less. We agreed on the price of $70.00. I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to tow it. I didn't know if I'd have to take the tires off of my trailer, or what.

This afternoon, hubby and I went to get it. Since I had no tag to put on it, and I doubted that the lights worked, he decided he'd take his car and follow me home. When he first saw it, he wasn't all the sure that I had done a good thing. We had to put air in one tire, had a little bit of trouble getting the hitch to cooperate, but got it all hooked up and I towed it home. By the time I got home, hubby had changed his mind. He commented that it towed well.

So, w/out further ado, here's my new project! I know it's going to take a lot of work, and I won't be able to get started on it for a bit. (We have to finish the other one he started on years ago first. :/) But, once I'm done this one, I'm going to sell the other one.

2398_sany7489.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's pink! Cool :lol:

I've seen MUCH worse rolling down the road down here. You'll have that thing up and going in no time :D We need progression pics as you work on it :D :D

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for you. I see potential there. When you are working on your own stuff, in my opinion, the labor becomes irrelevant. Make him stick to it, and show you how. Only other advice I would add is to make sure you ground each light, etc. It is an extra wire, but will save many headaches down the road. I would also use the "7 way "RV" style plug. I have had so much less hassle with that since I "converted over" 15 years ago. If the coupler gave you trounle, change it, and make sure the saftey chains are in good shape. It is no fun having a trailer come unhitched, and having the chains fail, just don't ask me how I know this!!! Take your time, and enjoy your project.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, there are no chains on it right now. That's something I'll have to add. Plus, I'll be rewiring the whole thing and putting on new lights. My truck has the flat, 4 prong plug, so I'll probably use that type.

It's not really pink, it's more of a maroon color. But, it won't be that color when I'm done. I'm planning on painting it white. It will reflect the sun much better than a darker color-which you want when you're hauling horses. (At least, IMO.)

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is just a question, no offense meant. If you are using the 4flat, 4 prong plug, than you will not have trailer brakes. Just something to consider when you may have 5,000 plus pounds pushing you down the highway. I have been towing a trailer since I have had a DL, and sold them to boot. Nothing to be afraid of, Heck, I can't hardly back up without one on. I see so many people doing dumb things with trailers, that if I can help make the highways safer, I would like to. Brake controllers are not that much, especially when you add in the extra safety factor for you and your horses. Just my random 2 cents worth on a Sunday evening. Be safe!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
True, better safe than sorry Deb :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't even know if the trailer is equipped w/brakes. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking they don't put them on all the trailers. My stock trailer has the 4 plug, and it's bigger than this trailer. And, I've never had a problem stopping. :hu Guess I'll figure that out when I get more into the rebuild.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Guess you'll find out soon enough. When are you getting started on it?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Not sure. I have one that's slightly bigger. The ramp started coming off a few years ago, so hubby decided to fix it for me. Next thing I knew, he was basically taking the whole thing apart-and he never finished it! :he That's one reason I want to learn how to weld. We're going to get that one done first, then I'll take it out to the farm, load up the mower, bring it home and redo it. Once that's done, I'll either start on the trailer, or make the old boat trailer into the canoe/kayak carrier like I've been wanting to do.

Oh, and when I start to work on it, the lady I bought it off of wants to know. She wants to learn how to weld, too. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool :D Welding is fairly easy. I can weld some, but has been a while since I have had the opportunity. I was learning at work in a fabrication place i used to work. It was fun. Keep your arms covered though :p

Latest posts