My personal Weight Loss Challenge

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I was quite appalled with my fat face, and roundish body, in the b-day photos last night...

I used to be a size ZERO!! Before I had kids that is....

I don't want to be a zero again, I'd be happy with being at least one size smaller than I am for now, and no, won't be telling what size I am, it's too embarrassing.

So I'm hoping to call on my friends here for support, and starting TODAY, I'm going to eat healthier, cut down on food portions, add more vegetables and fruits to my diet, and cut out all pop/sugar drinks. The only exception will be my morning coffee. I will allow myself no more than 2 cups of coffee a day! (ok maybe three....) Other than that, I'll only be drinking water.

I know some people cut out bread/pastas from their diet as well, but to be honest, I like mine too much...I'll try to cut down on my bread/pasta portions and substitute the rest with fresh salads, fruit mixes, and other vegetables.

My first weight loss goal will be 5 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of weight, but I want to set small goals first. After I drop that first five pounds, I'm going to work on dropping 10 pounds...and keep going like that until I hit my ideal weight/size.

I need to restrict my computer time as well, set aside a certain time to do some excercises/physical activity, that will aide in my weight/size goals.

We have a walking/biking path about a mile down the road from us. I don't currently have a bike, but I think I should start trying to walk a little bit each day, even if it's just around my own yard to start or down my logging road...then move up to the walking/biking path.

I'm going to use this thread to log my progress, if you all don't mind?

eta: I'm going to need to get a scale!!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know you're busy, and you're going to think 'I move a lot' but what you need to do is add some form of aerobic exercise to your day. Power walk a mile or two, jog if you like it, ride a bicycle, but you have to move. Diet is the first step, but the second one is burning calories. You can do it, you can figure it out, I'm pulling for you! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:thumbsup

--Find what works for you and stick with it.
--Drink lots of water.
--Don't forget even light farming chores are a form of exercise. So is chasing children. ;) But you need to do weights or something aerobic.
--Get a pedometer - doesn't have to be fancy. You might be surprised at how much you are already moving. The hospital dh works at has a program, costs $10 for the pedometer and weblinks for health articles and keeping track of your progress; but that can all be done for free on your own. The program recommends a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.
--Summer is a great time to cut the weight - all those fresh fruits and veggies that are available in abundance.

I like your plan of small goals to help keep you focused, QA. It took me a year to lose 150 lbs, I'm not sure how successful I would have been if I let myself get overwhelmed with all that I wanted to lose. A good motto for me was - I didn't get into this mess overnight and I won't get out or stay out of it overnight.

ETA - cheering for you!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I think perhaps I need to limit my time on here, too. I've a seriously BAD addiction to SS hehehe

The local hospital where Ernie has his physical therapy has a small gym. Membership is not that high, and if Ernie is there 2x's a week anyway for 30 minutes of PT, then I'm thinking maybe I can join their gym and do 2 30 minute work outs a week while he's in PT. It's not much, but it would be a start, right? and saving gas, too, since we'll already be there...

They have a series of aerobic machines you work out on. They check your heart, pulse, and BP at the start of your workout, and after every 10 minutes of the workout. Workouts are monitored by an RN...I'm thinking it's a good idea...

I'm thinking I better sell some hatching eggs to pay for that membership...............

Thanks for the support guys! First 5 pounds, here I come!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You have a problem with addiction to SS? I've got serious issues with SS, TEG and BYC, not to mention Pilates Connections (I'm an admin there), Beemaster and Northeast Shooters! :ep

Yes, limit the time you're sitting playing with all of us - but don't disappear! We'd miss you terribly! :hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
You have a problem with addiction to SS? I've got serious issues with SS, TEG and BYC, not to mention Pilates Connections (I'm an admin there), Beemaster and Northeast Shooters! :ep

Yes, limit the time you're sitting playing with all of us - but don't disappear! We'd miss you terribly! :hugs
I've a small addiction to BYC, but more addicted to SS....hmm anything I can do while sitting to lose weight? :lol:

I'm always afraid I might miss something if I'm off doing something else.....I mean, all the good threads are closed before I get to them when I've been busy all day :gig

No, seriously, I'm thinking I might have to set certain times of the day when I allow myself internet time and stick to it.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
hmm anything I can do while sitting to lose weight? :lol:
Practice correct posture and breathing while sitting at the computer. While this may or may not take off weight, both will help you feel better.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A former size 0 here to encourage you.:)
I am now a size 6. I just started putting weight on 2 yrs ago. not sure why or what I might be doing different than I always have?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love all these boards. I also spend time on a horse BB. That could be a lot of time sitting, but I really only have time in the mornings when I have my coffee and on the every-other weekend I don't work. So, sort of self-limiting. On the days I don't work I also leave my computer up and on one of the BBs, get up and do a chore, come back and check the BB, go do another chore, and on and on. :D

My best tip is whatever you do, do it sustainably! If a life style change is too drastic it won't stick.

I cut out all high fructose corn syrup and all hydrogenated fats from my diet (well, I still slip sometimes when I can't resist something). That effectively forced me to eat more whole foods and cook things myself. Cut out all store bought cookies, crackers, most cereals, most breads (there are NO hamburger/hot dog rolls without HFCS).

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
angelib1 said:
A former size 0 here to encourage you.:)
I am now a size 6. I just started putting weight on 2 yrs ago. not sure why or what I might be doing different than I always have?
Uh, yea I'd be happy if I was a 6! :hide I really don't want to say how large I've become...but it's bigger than 6!

I didn't start gaining weight until I became pregnant with my first child. It seems that once I learned I was pregnant, I developed a very bad habit of eating whatever and however much I wanted. I rationalized to myself that it was the one time in my life where I could get away with bad eating habits, because I was pregnant, and people expected me to gain weight. :hide

Now, five kids and 10 years later, I need to undo all those bad eating habits that I brainwashed myself into thinking were ok.