My poor dog has arthritic hips....any natural remedies?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Chondroitin is not readily absorbed, and is still found in supplement because consumers expect to see it on the label. It is made by the body when given the right building blocks.....such as glucosamine.

Fish oil is a wonderful anti-inflammatory. For a person, maybe 150 lbs, you start with 1000 mgs of EPA and DHA combined, more when treating inflammation, triple is a good starting point. But work her up to it, since there can be a "bowel tolerance" issue....Avoid any versions with soy oil, and always feed it with some saturated fat, also needed for absorption.

HA can be VERY helpful for some! It helped my old mare a lot.

Super-antioxidants such as OPC's and ORAC's are also very anti-inflammatory....I like Pet Health OPC's with Glucosamine for dogs and cats, and all my house pets are on it, along with the multivitamins. You can give several times the labeled dosage (of the OPC's, not the multi) with no problems. My older dog now gets a triple dose every day, and begs for it. It is very cheap. I've saved many people a lot of money with this one....A $21 bottle will last most people 3 months or more. Less for Sally's moose, though! You can get it here: www.marketamerica.com/dickandmarge Put "Pet Health" in the search and it will come up. There is a cash back program now, too, for all the stores through the site.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks free!

I checked the bottle and it says it's chondroitin sulfate is derived from "bovine" aka cow.

She gets two chewables a day in each chewable there is 500 mg of glucosamine (from shellfish), 500 mg of "Methylsulfonylmethane" (MSM) and only 30 mg of chondroitin among a few other ingredients like vit. E, Omega 3 and Omega 6.

I will look for a good quality fish oil tomorrow and those super antioxidents you mentioned.

"Sally's moose" cute!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Sally!

I know Feverfew and ginger can help with rheumatoid arthritis, you might want to look into those to help ease any of her pain..

Either way, hope those joints start functioning for her again!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis last spring. My doctor said to take Tylenol, Aleve, etc., which I did NOT want to do, so I started checking out alternative treatments. The arthritis was bad enough that I could not bend my right thumb at either joint. It just wouldn't move! My left thumb, both shoulders and one knee were painful and restricted in movement.

I started drinking purple grape juice with a teaspoon of Certa in it every day, and voila, can move my thumb again just as good as new. Little to no pain in the other joints!

I have no idea how you could get your dog to drink grape juice, and I'd certainly check with a vet first, but it worked for me.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not much doggy knowledge, so nothing there, but I just wanted to say your girl is beautiful and I hope you can ease her pain. So tough to see a family member hurting.

Latest posts