My poor dog has arthritic hips....any natural remedies?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
She is a 10 year old St. Bernard that weighs about 115#s. She eats "Wellness" dog food for seniors.

She is on joint supplements (eta:she is on glucosamine and chondroitin msm suppliments) but they don't seem to be helping. Is there anything else I can do for her? She is still so young at heart, loves to play with her sister and go for long walks but her hips are beginning to give out these days. She is very stiff after a long nap too and has a hard time getting on her couch....yes she has her own couch, don't your dogs? :p

I don't rush her to the vet usually b/c it stresses her out sooo much, but if I have to I will. I was really hoping there was something natural and over the counter I could give to help with the stiffness and pain.

Thank you!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
sometimes one suppliment is not equal to another...sometimes it is in the quality of the substance used, sometimes it is in quantity. Maybe try another brand of glucosamine, with a higher concentration of it?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My old Lab with hip dysplasia got a prescription from the vet for etololac (an NSAID) once the glucosamine/chondroitin wasn't enough. It is cheaper than some of the other pain killers they wanted to sell me and worked pretty well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Salmon oil is a good anti-inflammatory for chronic conditions, BUT it must be given with vitamin E.

Check with your vet for the right doses.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Our Vet put Gracie Sue on a med called "VETPROFEN" 75 milligrams. She gets ONE a day and it has made a WORLD of difference in this dog!! She has hip displasia and will be 5 y/o this month.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't have a natural remedy for you but a suggestion. A couch might eventually be too high. You might create a ground-level bed for her so she no longer has to try to negotiate up-and-down will relieve her of this stress instantly.

Latest posts