My quail are now self sufficient

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Awesome! I just put George Jr #1 in the fridge to cool. George Jr #2 is getting plucked, and George Jr #3 is waiting his turn....
I got the biggest kick out of this. We are calling all our freezer camp roos Fred. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Some might remember that George was my super-mean and super-huge rooster who left permanent scars on my legs. These three boys were his sons, and I played rooster soccer very early to make them respect my space. It worked. I learned this technique from watching my goats, who bonk any chicken who enters their "space," even the little baby goats do this! It is hysterical to watch Plum sneak up on the turkey and bonk him from behind. Just because.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
"Just because." :lol:

Congratz 'Zilla!! So, when you are officially a quail breeder, can I buy some from you? :) They'll let me have them in my apt. right?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am still at work, so no photos yet.

Blackbird, you CAN raise quail indoors. They do get stinky rather quickly, but I had my quad inside from Dec - April or so. Clean regularly and it is no biggie. If you put some kind of guard along the bottom of the cage, it cuts way down on the mess :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
7 and counting....
img00170m.jpg

:love