My Rabbitry (pics added)

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My rabbitry is moving right along nicely. The heat has been unbearable but everyone is doing fine. I started out with Florida White meat rabbits and enjoyed raising them for 3 years. I am now down to one FW doe who just had 5 beautiful fat FW/CA cross babies. And, have switched breeds in the last 5 months.
I know have 5 NZW's, 1 NZR, one CA/NZ cross and the FW. My buck is a CA and he is doing a great job. The CA cross doe had 8 kits 8 days ago and they are doing fantastic. She is proving to me a fantastic mother. I am also picking up 2 American Blue jr. does in a week. I am looking forward to all my new projects coming together.
I will be looking for an American Blue buck if anyone knows of anyone in KC or Denver area.
In this heat I feel greatful that everyone is doing well. The one litter was born on a day that got to 104. Thank god for airconditioning!
I also, have rabbit tractors I can put the weenlings in, as grow out pens. Earlier in the year they enjoyed clover fields. I do have to say though... it does slow down thier growth rate. But, cuts down on the feed bill. I do not put the adults out to pasture. And the herd lives in hanging cages in a nice shed along with 13 chickens. This has been working great!
I need to add pictures to my page, as I have moved and have a bit different set-up.
My little urban farm in the city is a great joy. Even the neighbors enjoy the sounds of chickens and goats enjoying life. I will catch them sitting out on thier decks watching the animals. Its a great feeling to have the simple things in life.

1834_barn2.jpg
1834_barn3.jpg

1834_chickens.jpg
the other side of the barn is for the chickens.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful. Meat rabbits are next on my list. I was hoping to start this year but next year seems to be the plan now.:)

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i built an extra large coop so i can put a couple of rabbit cages in 1 corner
still have to get the building closed in the rest of the way & i'll see about making cages

what size cages should i have?
i'll start with 2 , should the doe cage be bigger because she will be with kits at some point?

thanks
piglett

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice rabbitry! Many years ago I raised rabbits in a barn with hanging cages. I had a chicken coop built on the side of the rabbit barn and the chickens ranged in the rabbit barn. They ate the feed the rabbits dropped, fly larve, and kept the droppings turned with their scratching. Mine was not A/C'ed so I didn't breed in the summer.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
piglett said:
i built an extra large coop so i can put a couple of rabbit cages in 1 corner
still have to get the building closed in the rest of the way & i'll see about making cages

what size cages should i have?
i'll start with 2 , should the doe cage be bigger because she will be with kits at some point?

thanks
piglett
For the large breed rabbits I have them in wire 24"x36" & 36"x36". A nest box fits nicely in there and there is plenty of room for the kits. I use bigger cages for my does as they are going to have babies in there till they are weaned. She will need room to run from the little guys. :) I use the same size for my grow out pens. When I had Florida Whites (5-6 lbs adult size) I had the bucks in a 24"x24" and does in 24"x36". I also have rabbit tractors for when my clover field is full, then I use that as a grow out pen. They love it! Next year I should have some really happy kits.
If you put the rabbit cages in the shed just make sure they are tall enough to deter your chickens from roosting on top of them. Otherwise it should work just fine.
Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing about what you end up doing. Pics are always great.

BullardBarnyard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Cool! my rabbits have their own pen, with deep concrete sides. :) It keeps them from getting fat (Their not meat rabbits, just pets.)

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my only NZR. I love her compact sturdy size and shape!
1834_rabbits4.jpg

She will be bred to my NZW buck, in about a month to month and a half. I cant wait... she is very nice.

I am in KC, MO. I have a couple real nice Jr. bucks that are 1/4 NZ and 3/4 CA. Mom is always full of milk. And very very attentive to her kits. Hit me up if you would like one of these
great boys.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering meat rabbits, but don't think it's do-able in our present situation. We'd have room for a couple, but if I didn't have quite a lot, I don't think I could "do the deed" to Mr Flopsy" ;) If we had enough that we didn't really see them as individuals, it would probably be better. I've never had domestic rabbit, but we used to snare the wild ones and they were delicious!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really like it and it looks similar to the one we had...but I'll make a few suggestions that we found made things easier to keep clean. The wood behind where your cages are hanging is going to get sprayed with urine....a lot. If you could take some tin roofing and place on that wall, it will make it easier to hose down and keeps the urine from soaking forever into the wooden walls. If you don't have more tin, maybe some linoleum or anything else that is slick and washable...but be sure the rabbits can't reach it and nibble, because they will and you will be surprised at what they can reach that you thought was safely out of reach.

The tin pieces on top of the bottom cages will shed poop and urine better if they are anchored in a slant from the bottom portion of the front of the top cages, angling downwards to behind the top of the bottom cages. You will be forever trying to clean the poop off the flat pieces of tin and the urine, left to sit on a level surface, will corrode the metal eventually. Not to mention, the further it falls, the farther and wider it splashes, so your bottom bunnies will likely get urine somehow or other around the pieces lying flat.

Great and very neat setup! :thumbsup

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
I've been seriously considering meat rabbits, but don't think it's do-able in our present situation. We'd have room for a couple, but if I didn't have quite a lot, I don't think I could "do the deed" to Mr Flopsy" ;) If we had enough that we didn't really see them as individuals, it would probably be better. I've never had domestic rabbit, but we used to snare the wild ones and they were delicious!
Start by not naming or playing with them. That makes it harder. We have 2 pets because hubby let the kids name them. I named the pig 'bacon' just to remind everyone so we wouldn't end up with a pet pig too.