My Rabbitry (pics added)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Mickey328 said:
I've been seriously considering meat rabbits, but don't think it's do-able in our present situation. We'd have room for a couple, but if I didn't have quite a lot, I don't think I could "do the deed" to Mr Flopsy" ;) If we had enough that we didn't really see them as individuals, it would probably be better. I've never had domestic rabbit, but we used to snare the wild ones and they were delicious!
Start by not naming or playing with them. That makes it harder. We have 2 pets because hubby let the kids name them. I named the pig 'bacon' just to remind everyone so we wouldn't end up with a pet pig too.
I tried doing that w/a couple of roosters once. Realized real quickly that even by naming them Broiler and Roaster, they would have names and would be pets, so I unnamed them. :/

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
terri9630 said:
Mickey328 said:
I've been seriously considering meat rabbits, but don't think it's do-able in our present situation. We'd have room for a couple, but if I didn't have quite a lot, I don't think I could "do the deed" to Mr Flopsy" ;) If we had enough that we didn't really see them as individuals, it would probably be better. I've never had domestic rabbit, but we used to snare the wild ones and they were delicious!
Start by not naming or playing with them. That makes it harder. We have 2 pets because hubby let the kids name them. I named the pig 'bacon' just to remind everyone so we wouldn't end up with a pet pig too.
I tried doing that w/a couple of roosters once. Realized real quickly that even by naming them Broiler and Roaster, they would have names and would be pets, so I unnamed them. :/
I started that when I was in 4-H so I would not forget that we were going to eat them. My kids know if they are called by tatoo numbers or named after food they ARE food and play with the non-food names.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We named all of our breeder rabbits. It helped us to identify them easily and keep better records and it also helped the boys understand these weren't just production and a chore. They had identities even though they were food.

We do the same with all animals we raise for food unless they are in very large batches and they all look the same, like CX or meat rabbit offspring. A name doesn't automatically denote attachment for us, it merely gives the animal a face, an identity, that defines it as being more than just food. It's real, with needs, and a character that deserves recognition...even if we will be eating it.

I know it helps others to make that animal as blank as possible so that they will feel better when they have to kill it, but we are just the opposite. We don't like having food that has no character or personality. The first thing we do is watch them and see what kind of personality they have and then find a name that suits it. If it doesn't stand out from the crowd of many of it's kind, then likely it doesn't get a name.

All of our sheep and cows got names, some of the chickens, etc. I guess we've been doing this for so long that we don't need to develop any level of detachment to care for them and then eat them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's just it, when you grow up w/it, or have been doing it for years, naming an animal you're going to eat isn't a problem. But, for those that are new to it, it can be a problem. I don't have any problem dispatching a fish, I grew up doing it, but it's a bit difficult for me to off a chicken, especially if I've raised it from the getgo. Now, if I were to buy one at the auction, I could probably do the deed w/no problem.