"My Wife is an Animal Lover"

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to get some rabbits one time while we were getting our taxes done. Dh stayed behind while I went and when I got back I told dh what all I had gotten. The tax preparer was listening and asked happily why we had so many rabbits. Dh told her they were to eat. She freaked-apparetnly she did NOT EVEN KNOW people ate rabbit. She wasn't very talkative the rest of the time we were there. DH was so mean-when she freaked out he laughed at her.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know someone who won't eat the eggs from the farm because the chickens will pick thru the horse manure. And I get all kinds of questions about my eggs, after all they're green!

I had to laugh last fall. I had gone to a campfire/night walk at the nature center. I can't do the night walk often because it affects my vertigo at times, so I normally stay behind and tend the fire(s). This past fall, an older woman also stayed behind and we got to talking. She told me about this senior citizens trip she had gone on to the Cape May County Zoo. She told me that they got to see all kinds of unusual animals, including a chicken. B4 I could ask her what was so unusual about a chicken, she told me it laid green eggs. She was shocked when I told her that my chickens lay green eggs. Maybe I should go to the zoo and see this strange chicken.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am an animal lover too. I just killed my first hen(she was sick), and now I am thinking I could raise chickens for meat. I still love my animals even if I might eat some of them later on.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I love animals-baked, broiled, fried, ..... :hide

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like my friend who came down from S. Carolina with her 3yr old child.... "Look honey, we've never had eggs from REAL chickens, have we?!?!"

:th

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I used to be the head cook at a fancy camp, and I grew a garden one summer. We did not have to buy lettuce for most of the camps:)
One day, I was out picking lettuce for dinner, and one of the teen girls came buy, and asked what I was doing.
I told her, and she flipped out. Told me that lettuce only comes from the grocery store.

Our society as a whole, is so far removed from reality.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Shannonangenshens said:
Neko-chan said:
It bugs me when kids say milk comes from the store...
My son's aunt won't let his cousins come stay the weekend.....It's o.k that we drink raw goat milk,(she would send them their own jug of hormones) but I also cook with it... she doesn't want her boys having raw goat milk cooked in their food . :D I am going to miss keeping them stinkers during the summer. But I understand....kind of? :/ EDIT: she was fine with them watching and learning the slaughtering of a chicken, (her boys, loved it, very cool to them), loved the eggs I sent home, but someone told them since they were fresh she couldn't keep them after 4 days, so they didn't get to enjoy the entire dozen........ :/
And did you explain that once it is cooked it is no longer raw?