MyHouseIsAZoo2's SS Journal

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@ Britesea
I guess or something like that. Guess little sis decided against roosters for fair.

While I was writing this the guy showed up and bought all the roosters! Peace can reign in my backyard once again! Now I have $20 to buy more feed. Also I'm fairly positive all my buffs are female! But only time will tell.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blessed silence continues to reign the backyard, now the girls can free range as well though they don't seem to terribly interested in going to far from the coop yet. Should have probably waited a bit before feeding them their regular feed....

Speaking of which, I had to throw 1/4th of a bag of layers mash away today because it was clumped together and moldy at the bottom. I keep it in a tub with a lockable lid on it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my last bag of mash went this way too! I'm not sure if its because I keep it with my scratch (the scratch has no issue whatsoever) and the container is kept inside a shed by the coop away from the front where it might get wet/damp... Any tips on how I can prevent this from happening again or what might even be causing it?

As a separate side note my tomatoes plant has 3 tomatoes on it! <3

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is your tub sitting directly on the ground? If so try elevating it so there's air circulation under it. That might help.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I
Is your tub sitting directly on the ground? If so try elevating it so there's air circulation under it. That might help.

Its sitting on the ****wood (pardon my language) board that makes the floor of the shed (it was built before we moved in someday we'll upgrade to better quality floor), I could probably put bricks under the tub to give it height/airflow
This might sound weird but I honestly just assume it has a high sugar content or something like that since the layers mash always has a sweet odor to it and that was possibly linked to the issue.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Did you wash out the tub? If not, it could be causing the spoilage.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who knows, lol? I just know that I've had that problem with other feeds and improving the airflow has helped. Hope it works for you too.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The tubs only been used for feed and was bought about a year and a half ago (same tub used where Lil sis kept her chickens for FFA last year)

Maybe if I leave the lid off it might help?

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Warning! This post has slightly mature content in it!

Holy crows feet
I know I should be asleep (its 2am here) but I've been watching YouTube videos on how to clean/gut chickens and rabbits for the last 45ish minutes and I was doing it wrong! So wrong!
No wonder it was so hard for me to process that Rooster! I thought the tutorial I found on Byc was instructive enough but apparently not enough for me! I cut all the wrong places so it made cleaning ten times harder! Plus I cut the wrong place to pull the guts out so that explains the horrible odor! :he :barnie it makes so much sense for me now!!!

Sorry about this weird post in my journal but I felt like I had to share because it feels like a new door was opened for me tonight, I may sometime in the future (after I build a wizbang plucker) attempt to process my own hens/roosters again... Specially since I'd been thinking about raising more chicks and was scared of straight runs since there was a possibility that I'd get another rooster.... Also rabbits look infinatly easier!:duc

And to think this all spawned/came about thanks to looking up more methods to keep Roosters quiet (in case one of the three I'd just gotten where a roo) :th

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This is all a learning process.