Mysterious lurkers on the SS forum

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I STILL lurk on here a lot myself. Sometimes I get on here just to read, not to respond. :hu
Me too. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say sometimes :old

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that the problem that Joel is trying to point out (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the majority just read and never post, the forum dies. I've seen it happen before.

There will be nothing to read if no one ever posts.

Even if each person only posted once a week, there'd be SO much more information shared here.

And we'd all benefit from that sharing :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
I think that the problem that Joel is trying to point out (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the majority just read and never post, the forum dies. I've seen it happen before.

There will be nothing to read if no one ever posts.

Even if each person only posted once a week, there'd be SO much more information shared here.

And we'd all benefit from that sharing :)
I can see the point in what you're saying, moolie. But maybe it's too much to expect that all "lurkers" will post regularly, or at all.

Actually, when I posted the OP in this thread, I was expressing simple amazement at the difference between the apparent level of interest in some threads (reflected in how much they're viewed) and the general level of active SS membership. Maybe this is the case with all or most web forums.

I first got involved with web forums back in 1996 or '97. My first was a gardening forum. I can't remember if I felt nervous making my first post or not. I saw it as a give-and-take thing - I'd share my experience and what I knew, and would read and benefit from what other people shared. But I guess not everybody feels inclined to do this, or feels confident in trying it. :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I certainly don't expect that everyone will post regularly, if at all.

I just think of all the wisdom and knowledge and opinions that we never get a taste of, because it isn't shared. :(

I first took part in "forums" back in the "bulletin board" days, and because it was a new way to communicate I felt kinda awed to be able to take part in a conversation that could span the globe. A lot of those boards died, but at least one that I'm still a member of has morphed and changed with the times to use the latest forum software and try hard to keep its members engaged and contributing.

The problem on that forum (as on this one) is the usual cycle of online forum life--the "founders" and "old timers" who were prolific sharers eventually drop off, to be replaced over time by newer members who, in each new "generation" of forum members, have different expectations of what a forum actually is as time goes on.

So now we have a completely new set of online community members who do not approach a "forum" the same way as the originators may have intended. Not that change is a bad thing, because there does come a point in each person's life where a particular forum may no longer fit their lifestyle. But since a "forum" is a place for discussion, and we now live in a time where everything online is assumed to be "instant" and available anytime/anywhere due to advances in portable device technology, people don't seem to realize that it takes participation to enrich the available information.

I've noticed a significant drop-off in posting over the years I've been a member here. I never bother to look at the number of views a particular thread receives, because I know for myself that I tend to view things over and over again each time I log in and see that there are new replies to a topic I've read or replied to in the past. Sometimes I will add to it, but not always. And that seems to be what others are saying as well. The comments that make me sad are where members have said they just don't have time to add their thoughts--because I think the conversation could be so much better.

But I also believe that one should "live" life, and not just hang out online. So I hope the "busy"ness is life being lived to the fullest. :)

AND that people will continue to share as they are able ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, that's just it: some forums seem to be friendlier to newbies speaking up. Some are positively unfriendly. Some forums have a lot of good info, but the tone is so absolute, a person would have to be numb or really brave to risk being ridiculed by asking a "stupid question."

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Well, that's just it: some forums seem to be friendlier to newbies speaking up. Some are positively unfriendly. Some forums have a lot of good info, but the tone is so absolute, a person would have to be numb or really brave to risk being ridiculed by asking a "stupid question."
So Lucky, I know you to be a pretty frequent poster here. How did you feel about this forum when you first came here? Did you feel it was inviting, friendly? Or...??

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
I came here from BYC, where I was a lurker for awhile before joining. I post a lot on TEG, but I passed on pinpointing my location.
If someone [board ot otherwise] asks for info that i dob't want togive out. I flat out LIE! I dont think my email address is given out if I answer a PM with a PM [how about that JOEL? I recently answered your PM about this thread with a PM do you knoe my email? ````````````gd

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I posted often (for me anyway) when I first joined. Then there was a change in the "atmosphere" that made me go back to lurking, as I come online to relax, learn and peruse things that I want to learn. I've learned a lot from my online experience, but when it comes to this forum in particular, I look briefly and only visit occasionally as I am still leery with my past experience here.

Budweiser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not really crazy about the layout, or color scheme of the forum if you will. And really hate not having a quick reply feature... Other than that I find a lot of info on here for different ideas/learning purposes so don't find a need to comment that much, and not a whole lot of interesting topics are sparked to comment on..... But mainly not having the quick reply feature. Just my opinion.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
If someone [board ot otherwise] asks for info that i dob't want togive out. I flat out LIE! I dont think my email address is given out if I answer a PM with a PM [how about that JOEL? I recently answered your PM about this thread with a PM do you knoe my email? ````````````gd
No. No email info is transferred along with any PM. So I don't have your email address, ~gd.