Mysterious lurkers on the SS forum

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It seems that some topics get attention and others just die out. I assume that is a natural phenomenon. I am not on very often for a number of reasons, of which work tops the list.
I do notice that when you look at some strings, the same people are the last to post; as if whatever they said, killed the string. Correct me if I am mistaken here but that is what I have noticed. I'm not sure why that is, but after reading this entire string, I see a trend elsewhere.

Much of what I have read here is the usual stuff you see in any forum. There are some who contribute and make the conversation lively and then there are those whose "sensitivity" is challenged by those who have deeply passionate views on some (IMHO)pretty important topics.
The issue of lurkers is one every forum I have ever looked at sees. If you don't join right away, you are considered a "lurker" and as such the pejorative title seems to drive folks who would otherwise be friendly and contributing members, away.

I also notice that some folks attempt to participate and as soon as they do, the string ends...i.e. they "kill the topic". Could this be because no one likes their opinion or is there just some prejudice toward new folks with strong opinion.

There was a journal here for quite some time and I can't seem to find it now. I see posts from that individual from time to time but no journal any more. I used to like reading that journal because the poster was a very strong advocate of our country and its principles. Not many folks seem to carry that as out in the open as that one. I miss that. Maybe they'll start a new journal. I also notice that some folks tend to like to "smack down" the knowledge or opinions of others in an attempt to make themselves feel superior in some way. Maybe that is why folks lurk rather than contribute. Who wants to get smacked by someone who "knows it all" for simply having an opinion?

I don't get on here much. My job is keeping me tied to the grindstone. But this particular string, appears to be a bit more introspective and perhaps that is a good thing so that "lurkers" feel more willing to contribute rather than just read. It is also important to realize that everything we write on the Internet is permanent. It is being stored for reasons only those storing it know but it is my opinion that they are up to no good. It is illegal to let a pastor know who is in the hospital but it is OK for Big Brother to see everything done on the Internet. If that doesn't concern any of you then we may as well "Fiddle while Rome burns"

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and if you don't think posting on this forum gets you on a "list" somewhere... you are dreaming

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I
and if you don't think posting on this forum gets you on a "list" somewhere... you are dreaming[/quote
I like to think I put myself on the list Britesea;) In any case I did receive some new garden catalogues that were welcome while the snow is on the ground.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been on both sides of lurking. Sometimes you just want to click through some search results without signing up for yet another account.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I'm not sure how to type a word, I start to type it in the search engine. More often than not-even if I totally butcher the spelling, I'll be able to find the correct spelling.

As for the smilies, look at the tool bar at the top of the message box. You'll see a happy face. Click on that, and you'll have your smilies. We don't have all of the same ones, though. We no longer have the one that says, Welcome to SS.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If I'm not sure how to type a word, I start to type it in the search engine. More often than not-even if I totally butcher the spelling, I'll be able to find the correct spelling.

As for the smiles, look at the tool bar at the top of the message box. You'll see a happy face. Click on that, and you'll have your smiles. We don't have all of the same ones, though. We no longer have the one that says, Welcome to SS.

Thanks! my son showed me how to use the search engine spell check. Now if I misspell something It's inexcusable.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Post anyway-especially pictures of the beautiful horses in your avatar!

pepper48_98

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I am one who lurks. I do enjoy reading about what people are doing to be self sufficient. I have meat chickens (standard Cornish), bore goats, and am on my 2nd bottle calf, who will be ready to butcher soon. My goal is to raise as much of my food as I can but am still learning. I rarely post because I don't feel I have anything to add.