Name that game... bird?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay.. that being said.. Can I put them in with the chickens? They would be the smallest birds in the chicken yard and they are likely younger as well. I am always a little nervous about introducing new birds to the existing flock because of the squabbles.

We currently have a few older chickens that are free range because being in the chicken yard, they were getting injured or spend all their time terrified. It would be really great if we could let these little cuties out of the cage though!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say they are either black breasted red American game bantams (obviously hens - the males have the black breasts) or red jungle fowl hens. I had a pair of red jungle fowls, the rooster died this past year but I still have the hen and she looks like those in your photo. She is our smallest hen and free-ranges with the rest of the chickens without any problems - once you get past the initial pecking order.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chipmunk Easter Eggers! I started looking at pics of Easter Eggers to see if maybe I could find out what kind BYC has a pic of one that is definitely our girls. :woot They are apparently just pretty young right now. I wasn't able to find much on actual specifications for them. Full adult weight, height or that kind f thing, but I did find they lay 6 to 8 eggs a week! Blue / Green eggs at that. I am very excited!:weee

We were considering taking them to auction because I just couldn't justify keeping game birds around. I am so glad I asked and you guys were smart enough to know they weren't game birds :thumbsup Because I sure didn't!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby!

i think they are american banties... check it out. we have several of them. they are kinda silly and flighty but they are pretty good layers.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is Turkish. Hatched March 17.

Turkish-1.jpg

You have any clue how old they are?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a couple of those....... they are bantam chickens, probably crosses between Japanese (grey feet) and American games or old english games. They are fine to put in with your bigger chickens, you'll find they end up much higher in the pecking order than you'd think.
Fiesty little things, they are.

Latest posts