National Geographic- Doomsday Preppers "They are bbbaaaccckkk!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I would say that the show has done a good job of looking at a variety of types of "prepping" rather than just a "farm" situation.
yea hq I sure agree. it did surprise me they took different situations and different people. I did expect the same gun toting farmer types but it sure didn't do that and it was good to see them use different people in different locations. apartment dwellers, that one surprised me.

I also like the evaluation of each persons situation at prepping. told you what the experts thought and how to improve. ALL in all the show gives some great points to consider (when you weed thru the other stuff of course :) )

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FC - I agree that the showw is interesting but I just wish they wwould stop insinuating that preppers are goofballs.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hqueen13 said:
I would say that the show has done a good job of looking at a variety of types of "prepping" rather than just a "farm" situation.
yea hq I sure agree. it did surprise me they took different situations and different people. I did expect the same gun toting farmer types but it sure didn't do that and it was good to see them use different people in different locations. apartment dwellers, that one surprised me.

I also like the evaluation of each persons situation at prepping. told you what the experts thought and how to improve. ALL in all the show gives some great points to consider (when you weed thru the other stuff of course :) )
I'm not as impressed with the "evaluation" thing, personally. Frankly, who the heck are these experts, anyway?! They never actually name them. The other part that I don't care for is the "theme" that they apply, saying that each person is specifically prepping for XYZ to happen. One of the apartment dwellers was prepping for a gas shortage. I don't think much of her work was very practical. Somebody else was prepping for some sort of major volcano catastrophe. That may well be what they are focused on, but personally, being prepared is being prepared for whatever situation. How you do that depends on your available resources (i.e. do you live in an apartment or on a farm) because a disaster is a disaster. Sure, hazmat suits are great in the event of nuclear fallout, but nobody can be prepared for everything. Part of being prepared is being resourceful, anyway.

But that is my two cents, which aren't worth much! :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
But that is my two cents, which aren't worth much!
Back when I was a kid, those 2 cents would buy you a few pieces of candy. :old

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would think the 'evaluators' are someone with experience :p I hope it isn't the producers making it up :lol:

all of the evaluations are on that persons situation. and many of the preppers took the evaluatons at face value.

but all in all it is a show. tv edited to show drama. prepping for doomsday or economic disaster is the 'thing' now and they sure hit on a show for good ratings at this time.

what gets me in a way is showing a 400lb man with bad knees 'expecting' to take care of himself in true times of survival. to me a healthy individual will 'possibly' make it but someone with many health issues sure isn't going to last long I would think, unless a miracle is on his side. One thing is for sure he isn't running far. but of course who knows, he might make it when a true military type prepped individual with all the skills and supplies won't. it is a crapshoot

I think the show is just interesting to see who is prepping and why. you just have to take the bits of info out of it that are good.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
it is a crapshoot

I think the show is just interesting to see who is prepping and why. you just have to take the bits of info out of it that are good.
Yup. Total crapshoot. LOL

I agree, its interesting to see what people do.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity said:
FC - I agree that the showw is interesting but I just wish they wwould stop insinuating that preppers are goofballs.
DH says the same thing! :lol: I keep telling him, if they didn't make them look goofy, they wouldn't get rating. No rating, no show. We enjoy watching it because it has given us some great ideas for self containment for our hunting property. Goofballs or not, some of those people come up with clever solutions! ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I would think the 'evaluators' are someone with experience :p I hope it isn't the producers making it up :lol:

all of the evaluations are on that persons situation. and many of the preppers took the evaluatons at face value.
Practical Preppers evaluates each scenario. If you go on their website, they offer 'retreat consultation', which is probably why they were chosen :hu

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
dfr1973 said:
This show is being discussed on at least one other board I frequent, and posts this morning say one of the preppers in the first-aired episode has now been declared "mentally defective" and the state of TN has seized all his firearms.
http://offgridsurvival.com/doomsdayprepperdeclaredmentaldefective/
http://www.personalliberty.com/cons...ined-mentally-defective-stripped-of-firearms/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but I just had ta laugh over that one! Now here's a conundrum...if you are a doomsday prepper and intend to fight all the folks off your storage, isn't it counterproductive to feature your location and your setup, not to mention what you are storing, on live TV? :pop
thats what I was thinking!!!