natural deodorant crystal

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I completely forgot to mention this one! I have been using a natural deodorant crystal for over two years now. Its ingredients are natural mineral salts, and amonium alum. It is a crystal that you either wet and apply, or apply to wet pits. ( I choose the latter, b/c when you wet it, extra water drips down your sides) It is relatively inexpensive and lasts forever (ok--not forever--but a really long time.)

Just thought I would pass along this info to anyone who might be interested. It works well, too!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey! I have one of those! Passed on to my from my husband, passed on to him by his friend. Ugghh--I guess that sounds gross now that I type it. The trick is to make sure either the stick or pit is wet enough. A little too dry and the sensation is the sensory version of nails on a chalkboard.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Where do you buy them?

Also, when you say works well, do you mean 'for someone who perspires in a ladylike way' or would it still be likely to work well for someone sadly more inclined towards the plowhorse-sweat end of the spectrum :p?

Pat, having seen reference to those things and maybe even ads somewhere but not wanting to shell out for them without personal recommendations

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Where do you buy them?

Also, when you say works well, do you mean 'for someone who perspires in a ladylike way' or would it still be likely to work well for someone sadly more inclined towards the plowhorse-sweat end of the spectrum :p?

Pat, having seen reference to those things and maybe even ads somewhere but not wanting to shell out for them without personal recommendations
Well, I am not a heavy sweat-er, but my mom is and has a not so wonderful aroma attched to the faucets, lol, uses it and collectively--we have found that it works wonderfully.

Hope that helps!

ETA, I have seen it for sale at No Frills in the paharmacy dept, Walmart--if you are so inclined to shop there (saw it years ago at one, and I have seen it at Shoppers. I bought mine a No Frills. It comes in a translucent pink or blue (for men and women--although it is the same thing) it says Natural Deodorant Crystal. Everytime I have seen it--it was on the bottom shelf.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.....from the smells I detect coming from many people in the natural foods stores, :sick I came to the conclusion that natural deoderants don't work!

So now I need to re-think this?

What is amonium alum? I am trying to avoid aluminum and other pore-blocking products....looking to deoderize, not stop natural perspiration. Anyone know?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Hmmm.....from the smells I detect coming from many people in the natural foods stores, :sick I came to the conclusion that natural deoderants don't work!

So now I need to re-think this?

What is amonium alum? I am trying to avoid aluminum and other pore-blocking products....looking to deoderize, not stop natural perspiration. Anyone know?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_alum

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought one of those a while ago and it stopped me from smelling but didn't stop the sweating - not something I could hang with working at an office.

I kept it for use on those stay at home days but became concerned about the alum. With all the talk about aluminum being related to alzheimers at the time, I gave it the ol' heave ho.

I figured if I was going to keep putting alum on my skin I might as well use something that stps the sweating as well.

Incidently, I got mine at BJ's wholesale.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, guess I could've googled it myself! :rolleyes: I think I'll skip it for now, still searching. Sometimes I just rub a drop of lavender and tea tree essential oils in my pits. But this is not enough for a stressful day.

When I am home all day, gardening and such, I rarely develop much or even any smell. Tells me a lot about the roll of stress and stinkiness, for me, at least!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been using one of those for over 12 years! And since my work requires really close contact with people I need something that really works well and there is no stinky perfume in it like the old spice junk my husband uses.
I buy mine at the health food store and even though they are about 6 dollars it lasts well over 2 years....Thai is the brand I think is the best.

Latest posts