Natural Egg Hatching

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Due to a lack of info on broody hen behavior and the how to / what to do's on natural egg hatching I went searching this morning for info. I found 2 nice articles on it and really wish I had found them sooner, but, here I am on day 11 of my broody hens setting on eggs.

I liked this detailed write up by The Chicken Chick
https://the-chicken-chick.com/carin...HAT IS A BROODY HEN,or less) until they hatch

This one was good to,
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/05/annie-and-her-chicks-hatching-eggs.html

Since I am striving to be a Sufficient Self, For me, I don't want to depend on electric incubators or hatcheries to supply a flock.
In the past, many years ago, I had a hen that sat on a few eggs and when they hatched- she attacked them, so I went and got her some already hatched chicks from a local farm store, it went fine. She raised them up.
Now, this is my second attempt at letting a hen hatch eggs.
I think new homesteaders and even we that have been at it for many years still have much to learn.
The elders should share / write down/ teach knowledge

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I let the broody set for 3-4 days on nothing....to be sure she isn't just loafing. Then I give her eggs. I like to put them in a cage around cat/dog carrier with nest & eggs inside. You've done similar. If you don't the others want to lay more eggs in their nest and broody fights when she finds another there. the hen will generally get up about every 24 hrs. Eat, fluff, drink, poop, go back to nest. I'd cover the nest area in your set up. They like to hide -- safety.

Yes, I'm curious but I usually do NOT candle. The hens will discard, often break & eat, bad eggs. So when she detects it isn't developing, gone. Mother nature at work. Once hatched, I keep cage up for couple days to bond and chicks to strengthen. Then open door of cage, they'll use it nights for 4-6 weeks.

While I have a bator, broody hen is my preference. They learn "chicken" 😄

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mama chicken is on the bottom and her sister is on top of her and they seem to fight who is going to be mamma this time . The other one standing up is her baby from few months ago. I have buff orpingron and I have had no problem my girls hatching them out and caring for the there babys chicks

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_124821686.jpg
    IMG_20230612_124821686.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya know, I have wondered this on 2 of mt Welsummer hens-- if Murry McMurry didnt slip 2 bantams Welsummers in my box,, all of the other hens are XLG and 2 are small birds.
McMurry "used to" send an extra random chick with all orders. It's been years since I've ordered from them.
and Yea! broody #2 did poop yesterday before we left for church, now to get some chick feed and get a brooder pin set up.
Some will stay on the nest at all times that you notice. They know what they are doing. I've seen some that it seems they don't eat or drink for a week. It's all good and they may be slipping off the nest when your not looking and only be off long enough to take care of buisness then back to the nest.

15 of 15 candled yesterday morning here. 6 are out now, 3 into the brooder already and 3 still hanging out in the incubator. I may have been a day off in count.
I usually would be tossing out 8 of 15 yesterday so this hatch is good. Maybe some of them and the 6 from earlier this year will keep me from needing to incubate next year.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, hen and 2 chicks huddled and off nest. Checked 2 eggs...one liquid and I tossed, other chirping and pipping. I picked up hen, took chicks to nest and indignant, complaining hen got back on!! Stay there😡. That last 🐣 will happen in couple hrs if she does. 🤞. I swear, I'm working harder than her! 😳😂

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
5 chicks Playing together, younger 3 don’t quite keep up the the 2 week olds.
I put the roost ladder we made last year for the new flock/ adults now,, put it in the coop so the 2wo chicks could figure it out,, 😂 and that did , right off the bat,
And they walked back and flew down
3761B732-678C-4BFB-956A-E4A9D566E73D.jpeg
8AB484B7-A35D-42C5-BEFD-9B9D23573E33.jpeg
C0C92ED8-AE8A-464F-9CC8-15DCFBDF53BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts