Natural Egg Hatching

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Old saying. Can't remember where from at the moment Africa or Mexico.
When an elder dies a library burns to the ground.

About the same here. Wish I talked to ya GP sooner.

1 thing that isn't good is to keep taking them out moving them much less switching them. Next time pull all eggs until your ready and sure they're really gonna set as MH said, then give them what you want them to set.
It really is easier on you and her doing less. Switching and mixing eggs can get you confused also the different age of eggs will hatch at different times. If you have several days difference she may leave the newer eggs after hatching older ones.
Note the eggs can be a week apart in age. Just make sure they all start the incubation at the same time. You can pull eggs and leave them room temp until you have enough or are ready.
I hope I'm not repeating what was in your article's above. Haven't read them yet.

Thank you,
Yes so sad when knowledge is lost, and or force to be lost by the wonderful nanny USGOV, as with our Native American Tribes, They lot so much.
the eggs can be a week apart in age. Just make sure they all start the incubation at the same time
This- I didnt know until I read the articles. I wanted broody hen #2 to stay broody but she wasn't totally committed at the time is why I didnt give her her own clutch until yesterday.
so now broody#1 has all 31st eggs and Broody #2 has all 10th

I feel it is good to work thigs out before the SHTF . I have been "working things out" on many projects.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Side note. I've seen bantams that would set 8-10 big chicken eggs, aaaaand today is day 18 on our incubator of Cornish/backyard Cornish eggs.
No broody hen this year like normal but lost several hens last year due to predators.

Ya know, I have wondered this on 2 of mt Welsummer hens-- if Murry McMurry didnt slip 2 bantams Welsummers in my box,, all of the other hens are XLG and 2 are small birds.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and Yea! broody #2 did poop yesterday before we left for church, now to get some chick feed and get a brooder pin set up.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know. Ive never used medicated feed even when I've had to use a brooder. Everyone gets an all flock food here. From newly hatched to 12 years old.

Usually my coccidiosis issues are during long wet springs and in the adults. If I'm suspicious everyone gets corid for a week in the water.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya know, I have wondered this on 2 of mt Welsummer hens-- if Murry McMurry didnt slip 2 bantams Welsummers in my box,, all of the other hens are XLG and 2 are small birds.
McMurry "used to" send an extra random chick with all orders. It's been years since I've ordered from them.
and Yea! broody #2 did poop yesterday before we left for church, now to get some chick feed and get a brooder pin set up.
Some will stay on the nest at all times that you notice. They know what they are doing. I've seen some that it seems they don't eat or drink for a week. It's all good and they may be slipping off the nest when your not looking and only be off long enough to take care of buisness then back to the nest.

15 of 15 candled yesterday morning here. 6 are out now, 3 into the brooder already and 3 still hanging out in the incubator. I may have been a day off in count.
I usually would be tossing out 8 of 15 yesterday so this hatch is good. Maybe some of them and the 6 from earlier this year will keep me from needing to incubate next year.

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mama chicken is on the bottom and her sister is on top of her and they seem to fight who is going to be mamma this time . The other one standing up is her baby from few months ago. I have buff orpingron and I have had no problem my girls hatching them out and caring for the there babys chicks

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_124821686.jpg
    IMG_20230612_124821686.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My mama chicken is on the bottom and her sister is on top of her and they seem to fight who is going to be mamma this time . The other one standing up is her baby from few months ago. I have buff orpingron and I have had no problem my girls hatching them out and caring for the there babys chicks

My two did fight and broke some eggs so I separated them--- they are tolerating each other :smack

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why I like silkie moms. They park themselves right next to each other and just hope the pile of eggs gets bigger. No fighting.

Definitely not a homestead breed. I like ameraucana for that, but that's because I like the temperament and egg color.