Natural Egg Hatching

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a hen on 4 eggs. 3rd broody this yr. One I gave eggs, they got broken, she stopped trying. Other, no eggs, she finally stopped. This one is hidden away from others, on my porch and I didn't write date but will be sometime at end of monthšŸ¤£

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a hen on 4 eggs. 3rd broody this yr. One I gave eggs, they got broken, she stopped trying. Other, no eggs, she finally stopped. This one is hidden away from others, on my porch and I didn't write date but will be sometime at end of monthšŸ¤£
Broody season on this farm usually coincides with rat snake season starting. (when alive) The good broody hen would set 2 weeks then the eggs disappeared, a few days later we'd find the snake. A new batch of eggs and a week later again, then we'd find the other snake. They are always in pairs. Then ANOTHER restart and she'd set for a week or 2 then give up after a total of 5 weeks and no chicks.

Funny story. Irrelevant as it may be you should laugh.
Earlier today I went to look at the stack of tin out back that needs to go on the barn. I got distracted by the buckwheat flowers for a few minutes looking for bee's. I turned around and started to walk back. 2' away from where I stood I saw a mouse? run under the tin. I guessed where he was and stomped on that piece of tin, then walked around to tilt up the tin and see if I got'em. There was something shiny and much bigger a round than a mouse. The girth of but not the color of a large rat snake.
I take a step back to access the situation. (Hold my beer and watch this) Wondering how to get it out to find out what it is, it some how got it's head and front section out from under the bottom tin, on top of it and under the other stuff on it. It did a barrel roll that pulled another 4' out from under the tin and shot under the stuff on top.
Still don't know what it was. It had a greenish tint and looked kinda like a blue racer but bigger and greenish.
I almost stepped on it on accident without knowing, then I stomped on it thinking it was a mouse.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, I need to get that chicken wire out and get on that-- so much going on holy cow

same here, i could do a lot more if i had clones or a different body, but that ain't happening so i deal with it as best i can.

i don't get down or even upset. i just come in and rest up and plan what to do next as the chances come by.

i'm very lucky to have a helper who can do some things so between the two of us we can manage.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-06-16 062652.jpg

I JUST DONT want to deal with chicken wire!
so I am going to see how these work out, the chicks only need to stay in them with mamma hen for ??? a week or 2 depending on if they hatch and live but,,, they will be set up for success

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. The hens will protect the chicks...and they will take them back to the nest. Open the door to coop for everyone. Momma hens will be momma's. Just make sure there's a ramp to walk into hen house. Chicks jump down but can't jump up very high for a few days. Shocking how fast they do, also!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well good Monday to all,
I got the brooder panels set up yesterday, they worked out great!
Its day 20 for broody#1 I candled the 6 eggs, 3 were a definite no-go
2 I could see a heart beet and one kind of but not sure so I put it back

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like these panels

image_16881409.JPG

Its day 21 for broody hen #1's eggs,, I am going to just let them be and re-candle them if they havent hatched by saturday.
If they turn out to be a no-go I can always give hen #1, 2 of broody hen #2's, 2 eggs dated the 9th of June, the other 4 are dated the 10th of June.
AND- if hen #!'s eggs are a no-go by Saturday and hen #3 is still interested I'll give her 3 eggs on Saturday the24th.

Rooster has not been very understanding, he wants to [control/make them submit] and he is not being nice about it, I have read it is how some roosters are, so it just take extra supervision.