Nature's TV: The REAL nature channel!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone else really enjoy watching life's little dramas that go on behind the human scene? Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who still finds magic in watching it happen.

From my office window is a large meadow at the base of a big ol' mountain. When I sit at my computer I can watch some amazing aerial battles involving the local red-tail hawks, bald eagles, buzzards, crows and songbirds.

Today it was a murder of crows dive bombing two immature eagles! They probably just saved my chicken flock from a hunting foray....of course, the dogs may have had something to say about it too, but some of the young chickens have been straying a little far afield...so ya never know!

The eagles still take my breath away each time I see one...their whole flight pattern is dignified, slow and regal! Like princes of the air, they are just too cool to flap around like normal birds. The wing span, the lazy glide and swoop of them riding the updrafts....pure poetry! :)

The crows won, BTW! :D

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love nature watching and can't stand tv. I live in the city limits but I am lucky enough to have property that borders woods that can never be developed between part of it being floodplain and part of it being sewer right of way. The sewer right of way opens a strip right behind my house to a huge pasture that borders some city owned woods. Wildlife galore to watch in that 40 foot wide sewer right of way. I see deer, fox, raccoons, timber rats, coyote, rabbits, armadillos, turkeys, snakes and so forth. It is almost as good as living in the country.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I am the same way big time. Every time I am in the fields and near the barns working my eyes are scanning the edge of the woods etc. for hawks, fox, you name it! Always spying for something to move ya know..HA HA

I watched from my back porch a hawk beating up a mouse. I put big round bales in the fields for the goats in winter and that area always goes barren of grass. So in the middle of that round bale area a hawk was diving and stomping a mouse like crazy. I ran in and got the binocs and it was wild him stomping that mouse up and down and yup, he flew off with it. I was rooting for the hawk. Mice I don't need.

I always keep an eye out for the big field rats in the barn. Ugh, they jump and scare me and sometimes they sit and stare, like who are you and why are you here!!!! I hate them. And snakes in the barn.

Ugh

My eyes are always scanning before I ever place my hand..LOL

Nature is cool, but not chomping down on my hand..LOL

you are so lucky to be watching eagles! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know! We didn't have any eagles until the past few years, but now they are repopulating. The locals HATE them! Can you imagine? :rolleyes:

Because they eat all the trout and hunt on the fish hatcheries and brood trout ponds! They also hate all the Great Blue Herons....beautiful birds who are also getting a greater population around here. Same reason...because they fish too much. Well, duh!~ Birds gotta eat! :rolleyes:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My real nature treat this year was watching a pair of California Quail raise their brood-
the first time they came through there were the parents and 13 little, fluffy ping pong balls on stilts scurrying around- I watched all summer as the babies got bigger and bigger. I haven't seen them a week or so now but Mom and Dad had managed to raise 12 to adult size.
I love watching them flow in their flock from plact ot place with one of the adults on the top of a fence post keeping an eye out. I can still hear their calls in the woods.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it sure is a catch 22
you want some nice critters to comeback and survive, no one wants coyotes or cougars to thrive.....but the nice ones want to eat also...LOL...ya can't win....but honestly with us taking their habitat they sure deserve some of that farm raised trout..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I know! We didn't have any eagles until the past few years, but now they are repopulating. The locals HATE them! Can you imagine? :rolleyes:

Because they eat all the trout and hunt on the fish hatcheries and brood trout ponds! They also hate all the Great Blue Herons....beautiful birds who are also getting a greater population around here. Same reason...because they fish too much. Well, duh!~ Birds gotta eat! :rolleyes:
I bet the Eagles and Herons hate people too! "Look at those two legged buggers! what is their problem? Just give me 10 minutes to fish, wouldya? You're hoarding up plenty in this little bit of water ya got...didn't yo' Mama teacha to SHARE?"

We take the kids on nature hikes on our own property. We tell them if they are quiet enough they might get to see deer, rabbits, or a hawk. They are never quiet enough LOL

Last year, we saw a red fox in the neighbors yard (neighbors were feeding it!). It was the first time I saw a fox!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yestehad a flock of Canada geese out in the yard eating and pooping everywhere:>) This morning on the way home I saw a deer in the field next door...it is wonderful to see so much nature around the house:>)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm always on the lookout everytime I go outside. Sometimes it's nice to think that whatever scenario plays out was meant for me only. I smile and thank God for letting me see it.
This is a little piece of nature I caught with my camera earlier this year. My DH was cleaning up around behind a building a was going to move a tarp. Under one corner of the tarp was this blue tailed skink. Every day or so, I checked on her (him?). Unfortunately, the ants soon overcame her nest.
177_lizardweggs.jpg

My photoshop is full of nature shots. One time I crouched down for over an hour trying to get a shot of the little chipmunk that stole seeds out of the feeder. He would scurry around the pool, climb up the pole and pack his little cheeks so full that I don't know how he managed to get back in his hole. I got some good shots that day.