Neat use for pallets

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Joel_BC, My friends and I haven't tried this yet. We just found it. I think it would look pretty around my chicken coop.

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is awesome! I have some pallets laying around that have been begging to be put to use! Thanks for sharing!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it would be very cute for an apartment balcony for the growing of lettuces and herbs. Or for anywhere, for that matter...what a neat way of utilizing a pallet. I saw a great tutorial on turning a pallet into an adirondack chair...very cute.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a truckload of 80 pallets delivered here about a year ago... it cost me the $10 for the truck's gas to get here and that's it... we've burned most of them, they make great kindling for the stove...

I got chicken coop plans for making them out of pallet wood, but it collapsed under the weight of 5 feet of snow last winter... a planter would be a great use for some of the ones we have left.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Imagine how space saving a vertical garden could be? Of course, it could only hold plants with really shallow root systems, but lettuces, green onions, etc. should do well. One could even make a sleave inside the pallet, formed of the landscaping cloth, fill it with soil and just cut into for planting at the right spots, thus preserving more moisture in the setup.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, Bee, you've now given me an idea. Wonder how it would work for plants that I've started that aren't ready to be planted in the garden. I just might have to try that in my green house and let you know how it goes. It would save a ton of room.

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That's a pretty clever idea - using it as a garden. If you lived in an apartment building that's lucky enough to have a balcony then this would be a clever use of that area and make your own 'green space.' I've also heard of people using pallets to make furniture and also as firewood. The pallets are a good/cheap source of wood so they should be recycled or upcycled as much as possible!

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, that pallet garden is really neat! The idea of a vertical garden is really appealing. I like how some Asian countries make gardens on hills by making it sort of like a gigantic stair case. It is a good use of the land.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wonder if you could plant some smaller veggies in one, like the little carrots, or radishes. Herbs would be great too! I envision one stuffed with parsley for the chickens to graze on :)

I see pallets posted for free on Craig's List every day here. I've often suggested picking some up just for the lumber but DH says no...they're mostly oak and for regular building projects, it's just too hard to work with. I've seen some really cute and sturdy chicken coops using pallets as the base/framework.

Also saw once a cute idea along the same lines. They took a piece of plywood, stapled chicken wire to the edges and bottom forming sort of a half tube. Then lined it with landscape fabric and filled it with potting soil. They cut little x's in various spots and planted it with impatiens and hung it on the wall on the north side. The flowers were stuffed in thickly and when they grew and bloomed you couldn't see anything but them.