Neat wall paper border

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That would look wonderful framed and I LOVE that sign you made for her!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stand corrected after a little research the rental house was built in 1900. When we pulled up two layers carpet and one layer of pad throughout the house and two layers of plywood and laminate flooring in the kitchen we found wide board old growth tight ring white oak tongue & groove flooring that had two layers of brown paint on it.

So what do you do? well you rip out all of that flooring out of the kitchen and use it to replace some bad boards in the other rooms. Lay down plywood in the kitchen for a new laminate floor. Then you sand your ass off and put down polyurethane on the freshly sanded floors.

I ain't gonna joke - this stuff is simply gorgeous... A few deep scratches, nails, and sawmill marks give it unique character.

My son in law running the edger
IMG_20171230_214050370.jpg

My son running the floor sander. It helps to have someone with experience. He took the floor sander apart and ran just the head. Doing so made it work a lot better (floor sander hack -:lol)
IMG_20171230_214030436.jpg

I couldn't resist... after the first room was done being sanded. I just had to see what it would look like with a coat of clear gloss oil based polyurethane. So I brushed on a small section and it about blew my mind. This is what old growth white oak looks like with a clear coat of polyurethane.
IMG_20171231_024935944.jpg

When I went to look at this house before I bought it. I could swear I heard the old girl say "Help Me!" well she's getting the love she has been longing for. I still can't believe I bought this bank repo for $15,000.00. I paid cash for it and the old girl just keeps on giving.

The only reasons I bought the house was because it was old, has a brand new 50 years shingle roof, 12" sq ceiling tiles in every room, brand new high efficiency heat and air unit and a very recent master bath addition. After tearing out layers of remodels she's starting to look beautiful again.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! The ol' gal is getting a full body make-over! Can you hear her breathe a sigh of relief?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you finish the remodel, why not put her up for sale? Take the money and run. You should make a tidy profit. It will only piss you off to rent it again and renters mess up your hard work.

The floors are gorgeous. Those are the kind of floors that flooring companies try to duplicate, but just can't get there.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you finish the remodel, why not put her up for sale? Take the money and run. You should make a tidy profit. It will only piss you off to rent it again and renters mess up your hard work.

The floors are gorgeous. Those are the kind of floors that flooring companies try to duplicate, but just can't get there.

My next renters are my youngest daughter and her husband. So I'm not at all worried about it getting messed up. As a matter of fact they are going to help with the work :)

I got the first coat of polyurethane down on the two rooms and hallway.
IMG_20180101_153041611.jpg

And I've finally decided on trim. My take on Craftsman style trim. Its really easy to make in the shop and I think it kind of goes with the house.
IMG_20180101_153022853.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You were lucky to find that house and that house was lucky to be found by you! :) I love wood floors in old houses. In the one I'm currently in, the only exposed wood floor is in DS's bedroom and it's gorgeous!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting to come together now. Here's my take on Craftsman style trim. I wanted to keep it simple yet give it a little more. So I did quarter round on the shoe and top caps 1/2 rounds on the mullets and lower caps.

Here is the general idea for the Craftsman style trim. I just jazzed it up a bit. I'm very happy with how it's turning out and it's very easy to make in my shop and install.
I also plan on doing the plate rail all the way around the kitchen but not for plates but canning jars.
FH03NOV_CRATRM_11_(1).jpg

Son cutting out for door hinges. They don't call hard maple rock maple for no reason it is very hard to work. You can see the 5 piece base trim profile lower left.
IMG_20180127_171730417.jpg

Some finished (ceiling, door, base)
IMG_20180127_231852948.jpg

IMG_20180127_231904270.jpg

Still lots left to do but I have most of the trim made up already, just needs to be cut, nailed in place and finished.

I love working on old houses - they have so much character...

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! The ol' gal is getting a full body make-over! Can you hear her breathe a sigh of relief?
She's starting to be happy again. But in all honesty I'm really starting to grow tried of fixing the screw ups of remodels past.

Believe it or not. She had her 10' ceilings dropped down to 8'. With that tacky 2'x4' suspended ceiling pannels. I took one look at that and told my wife rip it all out and take it to the dump. When we did there was 12"x12" celling tiles and original crown moulding in the kitchen and living room. now that's something I can work with right there.