Need advice on my fever!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I started not feeling well on Sat night, never took my temp but I suspect it was elevated when I went to bed and I felt like I was burning up, but I had a wicked headache and did not haul myself hotta bed to check.

Sunday morning arrive with a slightly elevated temp...99.5ish took message went to church.

Came home and laid around all day , no more meds. Temp crept up to 100.8

I slept like crap because my whole body hurts, especially my back and hips..... I suspect it is just achey from being ill and 24 hours of sloth.

Temp has fluctuated all day.....99.9 -101.6. When I hit that high point I had just woke from a nap feeling hot and kicked off my blankets and drank some water/Gatorade mix.

Hubby is freakin out. I told him that I would take meds if I passed 101.6 again but for now it is at 101.2

I feel fine other than incredibly achey, little cough and I have not eaten in 24 hours.....I have had about 8oz of liq, but I am working on it. I am not moving around very well simply because it hurts.

I think if I still have a fever tomorrow I should go in. Is there anything that I can take to relieve my physical discomfort but not disrupt the fever, which is trying to do it's job?

Tell me if you think I am not managing this well, I will listen to you all :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the good-ole flu. Regular pain-reliever like ibuprofen or tylenol can help with the pain, if you take meds. Watch that temp though, and have DH take you to the doc if it goes too high or you don't start feeling better pretty soon. Keep yourself hydrated, and sleep if you feel like sleeping.

I would avoid taking over-the-counter "flu" meds. Flu is a virus and Ny-Quil and the like don't do anything for that.

Of course the tylenol and such will reduce your fever, but you should also consider that too high of a fever can cause serious damage, so you might want to reduce it a bit!

Maybe try a float in the hot bath.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace...now I don't want to scare ya....but...last Monday, I was feeling achy, just sore, tired....so I slept. Tuesday, same thing, no fever really...maybe 100 if even that, just achy all over, tired. Tuesday night...11 pm...>ER, Fever 103- 104 gasping for air...Dr said if I would have waited much longer, they would have had to put me on ventilators. It went from just achy, to near death for me, in a few hours. If you don't feel well...go to the Dr. Don't take a chance with it. I am home now, on oxygen, breathing treatments,pain meds, steroids...we are not sure how long all this will last. Don't risk it....please. This strain of pneumonia that's going around is fast hitting, and hard!!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks guys....I appreciate the info.

Justy, I am really glad that you are better! I was thiking about you, but really my lungs do have some phlegm, but I feel pretty good when I breath in...no raspy or rattling.

I hit 101.8 so took some advil as I promised DH......slept for 1 1/2, the best sleep I have had since fri night! I woke up sweaty but fever was gone.....hopefully it broke, but most likely it is just the meds :(

I absolutely will go in if I still have a fever tomorrow OR if I feel that my breathing is at ll compromised.

Thanks guys!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:gig

I get very angry when I'm sick. I hate not feeling good LOL

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Influenza B is going around one of the schools over my way. My great grandma and her family got the flu back in the Great Epidemic, and when she woke up from the fever, half her hearing was gone, and her dad and brother were dead.

So DON'T WAIT TOO LONG! We need you here! :hugs

okiemomof3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
raw garlic is a great antiviral and antibacterial. any time any of us get the sickies or start out with a fever, i start dosing with garlic.

take a clove of garlic, crush it and peel it and dice it up, then smoosh it around on the cutting board flattening it out and it will make a paste. tear off a corner of a peice of bread, slather LOTS of butter on it and put the entire smooshed up clove of garlic on it the bread and chew and swallow. do this 3-4 times per day until you feel better. it will really and truly shorten your sickness

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
okiemomof3 said:
raw garlic is a great antiviral and antibacterial. any time any of us get the sickies or start out with a fever, i start dosing with garlic.

take a clove of garlic, crush it and peel it and dice it up, then smoosh it around on the cutting board flattening it out and it will make a paste. tear off a corner of a peice of bread, slather LOTS of butter on it and put the entire smooshed up clove of garlic on it the bread and chew and swallow. do this 3-4 times per day until you feel better. it will really and truly shorten your sickness
Sounds like a good remedy,,,,just don't burp! LOL :sick I Love garlic!!