Need help for a Vomiting Dog. (Warning Gross) Update

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I gave her some cooked rice with ground beef and she still is not interested in food. :( She did want water

though. I gave her just a small amount. Hopefully she will keep it down unless she still has sweet potato skins

in her. Then I hope she throws up. She has perked up though. Next time I might try rice with chicken broth. I

have some in the freezer.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah okay, sounds like it was the tater skins and she's getting better. :ya If she's perking up & now looking for food, then no vet needed. Easy on the tummy kind of foods for a day or so as you transition her back to her normal foods. Sounds like you did the right thing & to heck with the vets :tongue

I've had a similar problem with our dog who loves carrots & peelings. He'd beg for em whenever I'd peel some for meals, so I just peeled them onto the floor for him to chase/eat. He ended up getting sick from it for a few days & pooped orange :sick I now limit his carrot intake :gig

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She vomited again. :( If you pray, please pray for her.

I may have to bring her to the vet.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
continuous vomiting can be a sign of bowel obstruction. This can be deadly. I think at this point I would recommend a trip to the vet. :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I work for a vet and while I've never seen a case of sweet potato skins, I can tell you what happens with poisoning cases and blockages.
First of all, they examine the dog and feel how much the intestines and stuff are working and if they feel normal. They want to hear normal sounds and that things are moving along. It sounds like they might not be. If they determine she needs to vomit more, they give her a shot that makes it happen right away and she finishes emptying her tummy of those skins. Then they give them an antidote to toxins that helps absorb anything toxic. There are various reactions to poisons, they would probably give her some medication to counter act whatever that might be. And they sometimes worry about them being blocked, so they take x-rays because you can visualize things. Sometimes they give them fluids to help flush whatever through their system and out. Other times they give something to make bowels move faster to get everything through the system, it depends on what they find. Other times they do surgery to get stuck things out. It all depends.

Where I work, we offer low cost options such as just doing the minimum and then you take your dog home and observe it yourself. Vet offices understand that there are sometimes emergencies people are not financially prepared for. Because your dog is acting lethargic, I would recommend taking her in. See if they have Care Credit, it is like a vet credit card you can apply for.

I hope my imput helps! I'm certainly not the vet, but have seen many dogs saved from poisoning/blockages, it does work.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

Savingdogs Thanks for explaining to me what they would do. It helps me to feel better prepared. She really wants to drink water right now but with her vomiting again I am not sure if and how much I should give her. I just gave her 1 Tbsp of water. Or should I withhold water like they told me this morning?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
when I worked in the ER our docs always said to drink anyway, because you retain SOME fluids. Will she lick /eat ice cubes or crushed ice?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She is hanging out by her water bowl. When I gave her the last little bit she acted like she wanted it but then again didn't want it. I just don't want to make her worse.

Latest posts