Need help learning to can and preseve

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, you are good! Healthy food=healthy people!!! And you may win her over to the dark side..... ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
I don't know where the closest True Value is and if I can't find one near me I know there is one in Norwich near my parents. It'll be a good reason to go out there to visit and give my mom another reason to think I'm nuts....you drove all the way down here to get canning stuff. you could have saved the gas and gone to Big Y and bought can goods... lol. They just don't get it. They don't know it but I plan to give her my own canned goods for Christmas this year an assortment of things that I will do throughout the year. :D Am I bad??
If you're bad, then I am too! Luckily my family loves getting homemade goodies more than "stuff"!
I go to the True Value in Willimantic. Not all that far from Norwich. If Norwich doesn't have the same selection... ;)

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:( It's still snowing here. I snowblowed the drive and I think I may have to do it again. But since work called and cancelled scheduled patients I may get in our 4X4 and head to True Value. I found one in Wallingford next town over less than 7 miles from the house. Now that could be dangerous to have so close to home...kinda like men in Home Depot

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
:( It's still snowing here. I snowblowed the drive and I think I may have to do it again. But since work called and cancelled scheduled patients I may get in our 4X4 and head to True Value. I found one in Wallingford next town over less than 7 miles from the house. Now that could be dangerous to have so close to home...kinda like men in Home Depot
LOL, I can do some damage in Home Depot myself!! Hope you find what you're looking for at TV and then some. I'm thinking of maybe heading back out to ours if it stops snowing. Yup, it started up again!

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dddct said:
I'm in CT. I would love to ask family and friends for help but they all think I'm nuts. My boss even calls me farmer jane now ( and my name is Diane lol)

I would love to perhaps host a group of ladies to come and we could have a day of fun but I personally don't know anyone who is trying to live more self-sefficiently. I am embarrassed by the fact that I can't even make homemade bread. I have a ton of eggs and would love to pickle some but don't know how and the thought of doing it wrong and someone getting sick makes me nervous.
I get the same thing from my family too but I take great pride in the fact that I am trying to learn to live like my great grandparents did. Its actually disappoint because all of there knowledge on gardening and raising meat is lost but I enjoy the time spent of figuring it out. I'm just glad that gardening, raising chickens, and hunting are a hobby and not all I have to feed myself:)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
How funny, my mother and both my grandmothers think I am over the edge. When I got chickens they couldn't believe it.

They have all been housewives, but 'throughly modern' housewives who had better things to do than slave away in the kitchen all day.

My mother has come around a little bit, but for the most part my family can't understand why I won't just go buy jam and eggs at the supermarket.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank goodness you are learning and preserving important wisdom in your family line! My father's parents were born in the late 1890's and went from horses to cars and tractors. They "went modern" in a lot of ways, but fortunately, my father has some memories, sometimes vague though, of how they did things on the farm. I treasure that!

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think the greatest gift I can give my son is to be SS and be brought up in an environment that tries to nurture nature. I hope my son absorbs all this like a sponge and when he's grown can do anything

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
I think the greatest gift I can give my son is to be SS and be brought up in an environment that tries to nurture nature. I hope my son absorbs all this like a sponge and when he's grown can do anything
I agree! How old is your son ddd? Mine will be 7 in a month. He soaks up all this stuff we tell him and then I hear him sharing it with other people. Nothing makes me smile more!

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My son will be 6 April 22 and he is amazing with what he observes. His kindergarten teacher tells me how much she's learned about raising chicks and rabbits. He can explain the different feeds the chicks get vs the layers, what they like to eat, how to collect the eggs etc. She said she never knew so much until this year.

He can't wait to pick strawberries and make jelly. He's also excited abouot making some apple butter in the fall when we can go to Lyman's and pick apples.