Need help learning to can and preseve

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I think your boss is a little over the top Diane. I like to humor people sometimes, so if I were you I'd wear a farming hat to work one day. :gig

I started canning making jams, now I can jams, veggies, sauces, and even deer meat. Here are a few pictures I took today just to show you some stuff I did last year and the deer meat was done 01/09.

5.jpg

Lft to rgt. Strawbry Jam, Rasbry Jam, apple butter, salsa, spaghetti sauce, venision

2.jpg
3.jpg

Sure it takes more effort, but I know from the growing of my plants, to eating dinner, my family is getting the healthiest food possible.

My two kids, also love to help, 12 & 9, when they give some out to family they say " I helped make that " and there's some extra love in ther for you. :clap

Teaching our children a balance in self, others and nature will shape good minds as they become adults. Some of my best memories with my Mom were in the kitchen and hunting. To paint a picture of my Mom, she was in every aspect a modern day pioneer. I shot my first turkey with my mom, and my first deer with my grandpa.

My Mom passed in 1989, I was just 19, but a lot of my core values were taught to me from my Mom. Today, married with kids of my own, I am passing down things she did with me to my kids. I am 38 today, and believe me when I say your kids will love you for spending time with them teaching them about life. :thumbsup

My Dad makes fun of me sometimes, but he knows the deal ( I am a country boy at heart and he's a city slicker ) and some of what he says just passes like good gas. His most famous saying that cracks me up is " So, hows life where the deer, bear and antalope roam? " I respond like wise ( lives next door to people that he has NEVER gotten along with ) "So are you and Tom dating yet?" :gig

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
My son will be 6 April 22 and he is amazing with what he observes. His kindergarten teacher tells me how much she's learned about raising chicks and rabbits. He can explain the different feeds the chicks get vs the layers, what they like to eat, how to collect the eggs etc. She said she never knew so much until this year.

He can't wait to pick strawberries and make jelly. He's also excited abouot making some apple butter in the fall when we can go to Lyman's and pick apples.
Cool! He's just a year younger than my son. We were at Old Sturbridge Village today and he was "teaching" the other kids about the butter church and candle mold in one of the houses like he'd been doing it all his life. Then he had a conversation with an older gentleman about our chickens and ducks. The man was just delighted.
I grew up picking apples and pumpkins at Lyman's! : ) Now we go up to Buell's in Eastford because it's closer. But I miss that Apple Barrel store!! If we make it to the Durham Fair we always fit in a trip to Lyman's.