Need help on cleaning a No 70 OVB Food chopper

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello all. First post here just stumbled upon this wonderful site and very excited about all of the good information here.

Today at a local perpetual yardsale I bought a No 70 OVB food chopper. It is in decent shape but needs a good cleaning. It also came with a ton of grinder wheels but only one seems to actually fit the grinder.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to clean and maintain this gem, as well as information on getting some grinder wheels and what the wheels were used for.

Thanks

Brew

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Brew Crew and welcome to the looney bin.

If my memory serves me correctly a No. 70 is the same size as today's #32 meat grinder. If I'm right (heaven forbid) the #32 plates and knives will fit and they are available at stores and on eBay. You will find dimensional info on the internet for your knives and plates. Usually, with the older grinders, the little tabs on the plates are what keeps the parts from being interchangeable from brand to brand. Do your homework.

If I were you I would scrub all the parts thoroughly with very hot water and lots of Dawn liquid detergent. I would use coarse steel wool to do the scrubbing. If you suspect that there is old food crusted in tight corners you may want to use a wire brush while washing.

Don't worry about rough cleaning methods as that cast iron will take it without damage. However, many of the grinders are tin plated to stop rust and to allow more sanitary cleaning and if yours is really, really old the tin may be chipping off. This ain't good. You may get tiny particles of the tin in your food. Can't help you with that. If it's chipping very bad I would toss all of it in the garbage (or sell it) and look for another one. They are not very rare.

Good luck and have fun with it.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks. I think it might be tin plated but not sure. I will get some cleaning done and post some pics. i have heard people use stale bread run through it to assist in the cleaning as well.

Appreciate the info on the #32 very helpful.

Brew

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Not sure about posting pics, but I know w/links, you need to have 10 posts B4 you can do so. So, if you can't post a pic, that would be why. It's just a matter of getting your post count up quick-which normally isn't a problem on this site. :lol:

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BrewCrew said:
. . . Appreciate the info on the #32 very helpful. Brew
Earlier today when I was out on the tractor I got to thinking about the #32 info. I gave you. I think I may have mis-spoke. I'm thinking that the #32 is larger than the Our Very Best #70. Aww heck, just snoop around on the 'net and you'll find what you're looking for. Sorry.

I like the stale bread idea. Thanks.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I looked around and am having hard time getting some size comparisons. I will keep looking though. Thanks for the welcome and I will get my post count up no problems.

Brew

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to SS!!!!! Sorry I can't help with your new/old food chopper, have no experience with that one. Glad you found us and tell us a little about yourself!

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks.

As for myself well I live in lower Alabama work as a substance abuse therapist, have 4 kids and as many dogs. Live in town but just bought 20 acres in the country. Grew up doing all the things I see around here but got away from it. Lately with the world like it is I feel I need to go back to my roots. To that end I have gathered some livestock some fruit trees loads of knowledge from the net and I am getting back to basics.

So far I have 12 chickens, 2 ducks, 5 rabbits, and one is ready to have babies soon. We shall see what the future holds.

Brew