Need help picking an LGD for our needs

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Ok. Enough input and opinions. GO BUY A PUPPY and then post lots of pictures :D
I mentioned in the original post, that we will get a dog if and when dh gets a Slope job ;)
That could be as early as July!
Though I am pleased to report that he has already started booking fishing clients, and has given notice for the end of June for the current job :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I will have to wait for cute puppy pictures????

:th

Since I can't have my own, how else will I get my puppy fix??

:D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didnt read through all of these posts, but has anyone mentioned a Golden retriever? We had one for 15 years. He was great around the children when they were younger, and very smart, and protective. The long hair is a bit much, as they shed A LOT!!!! But, the personality of the golden makes up for it. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I didnt read through all of these posts, but has anyone mentioned a Golden retriever? We had one for 15 years. He was great around the children when they were younger, and very smart, and protective. The long hair is a bit much, as they shed A LOT!!!! But, the personality of the golden makes up for it. :)
:D Not a good choice for Alaska as far as the hair is concerned. But I do like Goldens!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
justusnak said:
:D Not a good choice for Alaska as far as the hair is concerned. But I do like Goldens!
We originally got our golden when we lived in Alaska. He was 6 when we moved back to the lower 48. He suffered from the hot summers here, and wanted to stay inside most of the time. Thats when he really started packing on the pounds. He loved the snow and cold up there, and we took him on many long winter hikes, for wolf protection. No he wouldn't have been able to fight off a wolf, but at least keep them busy until we could get away. Gladly we never had to run through that scenario.;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
justusnak said:
We originally got our golden when we lived in Alaska. He was 6 when we moved back to the lower 48. He suffered from the hot summers here, and wanted to stay inside most of the time. Thats when he really started packing on the pounds. He loved the snow and cold up there, and we took him on many long winter hikes, for wolf protection. No he wouldn't have been able to fight off a wolf, but at least keep them busy until we could get away. Gladly we never had to run through that scenario.;)
I was thinking about the hair and snow issue. Medium length seems to be a better choice for an outdoor dog.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahh, yes. The snow did tend to accumulate in big iceballs if we didn't keep him trimmed. Hmmmmm well, good luck for your hunt on a new dog. I too am still looking for the "perfect for me" dog for our farm. Med to short hair, good inside or out, protective and easily trained. LOL

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I too am still looking for the "perfect for me" dog for our farm. Med to short hair, good inside or out, protective and easily trained. LOL
I'm still looking for one that doens't poop. :idunno

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
justusnak said:
I too am still looking for the "perfect for me" dog for our farm. Med to short hair, good inside or out, protective and easily trained. LOL
If you feed a grain free diet, the poo just dries up and disappears. Its totally different then the nasty poo from a processed grain filled diet.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Our7Wonders said:
justusnak said:
If you feed a grain free diet, the poo just dries up and disappears. Its totally different then the nasty poo from a processed grain filled diet.
We did a raw diet for quite a long time with our boxer. And she did well on it. Her gas went away and clean up was so much better. Funds got tight and it was either the dog's food budget or ours that had to get slashed. So the dog isn't raw anymore. I could swing it again fiancially, but truthfully, it was an extra task to my day that I'm just not prepared to undertake again. Some day maybe we'll get back to it, but my efforts have to spent elsewhere for now.

I'll have to see what grain free feeds are available locally, perhaps that would be a nice alternative for her. Any brands I should look for?