Need help planning a birthday party for a 1-year-old boy

whenchickensdream

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My daughter wants to do something really cute for her baby's 1st birthday in October but doesn't want to spend a pile of money. Do you have any ideas of things to make? She doesn't have a theme or anything. Thank you for your help. Joy

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What I did for my one year old first B-day was I went to the dollar store and found a coloring book of some show or toy that he liked. Then I colored the pictures. Instant wall decorations. Then I searched to see if there was any paper plates to match. If not I just bought colored ones that fit with the theme.

I still decorate b-days like that. Decorations are so expensive.

One year my daughter wanted a spongebob birthday. So I watched the cartoon and looked at all the stuff that was on the walls inside of spongebobs house. I cut them out of cardboard and painted them. Then I cut out lots of jellyfish like the ones seen on the cartoon. And painted them the same, and hung them from the ceiling. Then found some shells with holes drilled in them and hung them around too..

Just be creative.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:welcome

I strongly recommend keeping it simple where the baby is concerned. Babies easily get overwhelmed by too much goings on. This is more for the adults anyway ;)
This may also end up setting a trend for future birthdays.

It all depends on what you and your DD want to invest in this event. Are you going to have other babies over. Is it going to be close family and friends only? The thing is, that it is often the adults in the group, that have increasingly higher expectations.
At one birthday party for my then 5 year old, a parent/friend demanded wine and was upset that I didn't have any. I had to point out that it was a party for a 5 year old - NO alcohol! :he In our house it was usually homemade carrot cake and finger foods. Easy to prepare ahead of time and easy to serve and eat - for kids and adults.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
One year olds birthday parties are more for the adults than the kids anyway. My daughter's one year old party theme was balloons! Colorful, some helium and some not, I made a flat cake and did big colorful polka dots on it. The adults brought pot luck, and everyone played with those big Lego on the floor and we listened to Muppets songs on the record player. Hey, it was 1979, and we had record players.....

Anyway, six months later she had learned her alphabet and by her second birthday she was reading. (Not kidding!) I think it was the balloons that did it.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We did a bubble party once. The kids had a pool outside to swim in, there was a bubble machine and everyone had containers of bubbles. We also blew up a bunch of dark blue, light blue, white and clear balloons for the floor (we left them somewhat underinflated a bit just in case someone tried to bite them). We also had blue, light blue and white streamers. We continued the colors with the paper plates, cups and utinsels. I cut out circles from constructions paper and glued them together for invitations. I also made all the food myself.

Think about using a small round springform pan for the birthday baby's cake, too. It's just the right size for a cute cake, a huge mess and great pictures. For everyone else, we did cupcakes in various hues of blue and white.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Save yourself the trouble and do cupcakes! Everyone gets a cake! Do finger foods and I agree, keep it simple! They won't remember it but you will, the simpler you keep it the more you can focus on the child. I would recommend keeping the party to 1-2 hours, any more than that and you will have cranky people everywhere. Make sure and plan it around their nap time, I always do my kids' parties after nap time so they are well rested!

I went all out for my DS and then when my DD rolled around I knew better. I would say immediate family only, too many people and the little ones get cranky really quick!

I like the balloon theme....that sounds cute!

If the weather is nice you could do a picnic and play with inflatable beach balls or sprinklers. Do what the little one likes and you can't go wrong!

whenchickensdream

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the answers. They were very helpful. My DD really enjoyed reading them all.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I strongly recommend keeping it simple where the baby is concerned. Babies easily get overwhelmed by too much goings on. This is more for the adults anyway ;)
This may also end up setting a trend for future birthdays.
Thank you for answering my question!! I was wondering why on earth you'd have a party before the kid was four or five and had friends.

whenchickensdream

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
abafae,

The reason why we are celebrating my little one's birthday is because we waited a long time for him. We celebrate all birthdays in my family. We always have cake and icecream. I am the only grandparent this little boy has. It is almost always only family who celebrates here at my house till the grandkids get older (hard to believe they are 12, 7, 7). I just wanted some ideas for us to make his first birthday extra special. The only kids invited will be my grandchildren. You all have such great ideas - didn't mean to get any flak about holding a party for my grandson. Sorry if that seems outlandish to some. Have a good day.

Joy

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The best thing we did at my son's 1st birthday party was take lots and lots of pictures! It was all about him, not the food, not the presents. We have pictures of him with every family member and friend who came. We didn't really do decorations and themes. Just some snack foods and fun!