Need help/suggestions organizing late Grandmother's recipe collection

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My mom has graciously given me my late grandmothers recipe collection. It's made of up of handwritten notes, clippings, and some typewritten recipes. There's no real organization to it, but there are some famliy gems in there. [yes, I'm digging for the turnip kraut recipe. :D ]

At the end of the process, I'd like to provide my cousins a copy of the collection if they'd like to have one.

I have no idea where to start or what the end product would look like? Suggestions, anyone?

Many thanks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you have the time and energy, a scrap book type format showing her handwriting and maybe even some old family photos interspersed would be really cool.

Here are some samples...
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/a-family-cookbook-scrapbook/1237697
http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to...ogallery/organize-your-family-recipes#slide_8

There is even a book that shows you how to do it...
http://www.amazon.com/Scrapbooking-Recipes-Preserving-Kitchen-Memories/dp/0696217201

Another option is to join a site like Recipezaar.com and enter them all electronically...but I think her handwriting in a scrapbook would have more meaning to the family.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow what a gold mine!

I think I would start with scanning the recipes in - that would solve the problem of the different size papers/recipes, etc - saving each scanned doc with the title of the recipe, if there is a title, lol

can't tell you how many recipes I have from my mom that never say what the recipe is for....

once they were scanned in, it would be easier to put in categories - you could use categories from any cookbook, and then you would be able to either print out the collection or email it.

hope you share some of those recipes!

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
can't tell you how many recipes I have from my mom that never say what the recipe is for....

Yeah, you're looking at the recipe thinking---what has all these things in it? What is it supposed to look like at the end? :lol:

I agree with scanning and saving, then some type of scrapbook, digital or handmade. What a blessing to have her handwriting! I love things like that from my grandma, makes her feel close.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

I have a bunch of my mom's recipes that I put in one of those "magnetic pages" photo album. My sons nearly destroyed it and it need to be updated, but I am glad I have them.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the idea of a scrapbook with photos etc. And then you can photocopy the pages and make up a book for each of your siblings/cousins who might be interested.
All I have from my mother's recipes are a couple of type written cookie recipes (no handwriting); but I do have her 1951 edition of *Joy of Cooking* with a few notes in the margins, and smears of chocolate on the page with brownies, from when I was learning to cook.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would scan everything and give them a disk tucked into the back of a cookbook that you put together by printing extra special recipes and, as someone mentioned, include pics and special stories.
I would cherish something like that.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My aunt is doing something like this with my grandmother's recipes.

I think a scrapbook with the actual recipes (I certainly wouldn't toss them no matter the condition or readability) is a great idea. Depending on how much you want to add ... and this could be an ongoing thing .... you could type the recipe out to make it more readable, include memories or photos you may have of people, holidays, food, etc. Make the recipe yourself and photograph it.

I think making copies for everyone is a great idea, even if you have to do it while it's a work in progress (if you did the things I suggested above, it would take time), and the idea to scan them all and include it on disk is brilliant ... I never thought of that.

I have some photocopied pages of a family book made by great-aunts and I really treasure all the things they put in there. Even black and white copies of old photos are better than nothing at all.

I think it's a wonderful idea and project, and in any stage of completion would make a wonderful gift. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DW and my mom are big-time scrap-bookers, check.
I can do the scanning/CD work, check.

Wifezilla, thanks for the links!

Everyone else, thanks for the words of support and ideas!

I have about a month before I start working outside around the homestead, so I guess I need to be getting a game plan together now. I think I'd like to have it all wrapped by Christmas. She has some "speciality" candy recipes in there, maybe whip up enough of them to provide a "sampler" as part of the gift?

I'll share things that might be of interest as I work through it?