Need help with a "cheesy potato bake" recipe...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Ok I tried to recreate the cheesy potato bake you buy in a box at the store, with dehydrated potato slices.

It was very tasty, but the saucy part was too watery, now I can reduce slightly the liquid content in my made up recipe, but I do still need to add something to thicken it up while baking.... I need idea's on what to use. I would like something as a dry powder, and I'm not sure if corn starch will work or not if its sitting in warm liquid for a while before it gets to boiling. (perhaps flour?)

This is the recipe I used.

about 2 -2/12 cups dehydrated potato
1/2 cup cheese powder
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
2 1/4 cup boiling water.

I mixed the milk, water, cheese powder and butter together and when the butter had melted I added the dehydrated potato slices and baked in the over at 400 degres for 30 minutes.

I'm going to dehydrate more potato and try this again.... please give me some idea's to try to thicken this up.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just made a cheesy potato bake without a recipe, just with stuff I had on hand. Just chopped peeled potatos covered the bottom of a baking dish, poured over goat milk, grated goat milk cheese, slabs of butter, then salt and pepper and some other favorite household spices. Then I baked the whole thing. It was kinda watery, so I poured off the milk at the end and baked it a final 10 minutes. It was a huge hit!
Just pour off that extra milk next time if it comes out like that.

I'm also interested in an official recipe for that with similar ingredients.
:pop

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just add about 3 TBSP flour. Mix it with the cheese powder before mixing it with anything else, and it will be smoother.

We do ours without the powdered stuff, because it is more costly and less healthy than the real stuff.

We start with leftover baked potatoes. If the potatoes are already baked, then you don't need liquid in it. We just make cheese sauce and dump it on, sprinkle with a little more cheese and brown the cheese in the oven.

It is good with chicken or beef in it, with broccoli stirred in, etc.

Ours isn't a one pan cooking recipe, but all of the ingredients are whole and stuff we can eat that way.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'll try the flour. thanks!

I want to recreate the recipe using the potatoes I dehydrate, and powdered ingredients so I can store it long term. I can make a potato bake using fresh potatoes, but I want a good use for dehydrated ones.

I'm hoping for a bumper crop this year, I have about 20 potato plants that look fantastic right now, I want to dehydrate most of the crop and store for later use - I don't want to store them as they are or give them away.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just make sure you blanche the potatoes for the right length of time prior to drying. That is the key, and makes all the difference. If you get the time right, the potatoes will store well. Too short, and your potatoes will turn black and rot in storage. Too long, and they go a bit flaky - but I'd always go for flaky rather than rotted. :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Yeeah I blanched for about 4 minutes this last time I dried a batch... they turned out really nice.

(I'm going to try a similar recipe with Broccoli)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Broccoli dries well. It just needs dip blanched.

So you can make up the whole mix from dried.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I steam blanche Broccoli, potato slices don't do as well being steamed, cause they'll stick together unless you can do one layer or so in a steamer. I prefer to boil blanch the potatoes.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also make the cheese sauce first (powdered or fresh) Just mix butter and a Tbl spoon or so of flourt till lightly browned, then add your milk and cheese and cook down till it's a little more watery than you like it, pour over potatoes and bake it for about 40 min at 350. Obviously it depends on how much potatoes but it's a really creamy sauce!