Need help with making ribs

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How is the diet helping the dyslexia? Traveling is always a huge headache and my daughter doesn't help by being picky.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you read the book "Disconnected Kids?". It explains among other things the role that food intolerances play in brain function. The kids have daily exercises, diet guidelines and three times a week intense therapy for an hour each day which is half sensory/motor and the other half is academic. The academic is not designed to teach them anything new, but to stimulate the area of the brain that needs it. We have seen huge improvements which make staying with the program so much more doable.

My daughter has been SO picky all her life. I finally realized she was reacting to the foods. Some of it had less to do with taste than texture. She is getting better with all that though--very far from what I would like to see, but better than before. So an example was that she would say that bacon made her sick. When I switched to Hormel Uncured bacon without nitrites, etc in it, she immediately began eating it again with no ill effects. Food colorings are another thing that throw them for a loop.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow that sounds like a challenge. It is tough being a kid, especially with a situation like that. You really don't have a vocabulary for the things your'e experiencing and feeling, and it is hard to figure out how to explain things sometimes. You simply don't know what you don't know. I'm glad you're having success with them!! Keep up with the good work! (And let us know how your ribs turn out!)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Have you read the book "Disconnected Kids?". It explains among other things the role that food intolerances play in brain function. The kids have daily exercises, diet guidelines and three times a week intense therapy for an hour each day which is half sensory/motor and the other half is academic. The academic is not designed to teach them anything new, but to stimulate the area of the brain that needs it. We have seen huge improvements which make staying with the program so much more doable.

My daughter has been SO picky all her life. I finally realized she was reacting to the foods. Some of it had less to do with taste than texture. She is getting better with all that though--very far from what I would like to see, but better than before. So an example was that she would say that bacon made her sick. When I switched to Hormel Uncured bacon without nitrites, etc in it, she immediately began eating it again with no ill effects. Food colorings are another thing that throw them for a loop.
All the additives, especially the ones that don't have to be listed, are why we started raising our own meat and veggies.