Need help with Rabbit info

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I really need some input on rabbits.

We got one (hastily :barnie) and our circumstances have changed...now I need to revise my bunny plans.

Can a Rex live outdoors? When we got her she was portrayed as an indoor pet, they said that bunnies don't do well outside ( :hu )

At our old house I created an outdoor run but I would bring her in nightly except in the heat of the summer when it stayed in the 70's + at night.
I NEED her to actually live outside! Rather than a bunny cage I have a large dog crate that she lives in. She has a litter box and a cardboard box that she likes to hide under...she gets out all day to play in the grass...although she mostly is active early AM and after dusk. She does not like the sun (probably normal) and will only come out into shaded areas.

So last night I locked her up safely in her crate but I left her outside in the low 60 degree temps. I did wrap a blanket around her crate to keep the wind out though.

What can I do to create a more natural, happy environment for her? I want to enjoy having her but I feel like I am just not meeting her needs.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, shes just fine outside in those temps, mine are out side and it got down to -3 last week. I have boxes I amde that are roughly16 inches long by 10 inches high by 10 inches wide and cut a round hole in it big enough for them to get in and out of, they love it. Its kinda like a cubby for them. Hope this helps.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sure dace of course she can live outside.
just meet her needs.

when I had my bunnies... 2 of them......I had them in a pen like a chicken tractor. in there was a small dog house....packed with hay. they stayed out in all weather. she will do fine!!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Rabbits do much better outside, they have abundant fur and they are more affected by heat than cold. Especially a Rex...beautiful fur! You might start planning a good bunny hutch for this spring, though. You have to really watch rabbits indoors as they love to chew electrical wires and....zap!

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She'll do fine outside. We had -25 below temps for several nights in a row last week with negative daytime highs and our rexes did just fine. Just provide a well sheltered, draft free, and well bedded enviroment and plenty of food and water.

There are many ideas for rabbit hutches out there, just figure out what meets your needs.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Outside is FINE! Just watch the temperatures in the summer. Heat is much tougher on bunnies than the cold. My angora is LOVING the cold weather were having. It's his favorite.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of your responses! I am relived to know that I do not need to worry so much about the cold!
I am still going to put a blanket over her cage for a bit to help her adjust.

I found a good spot in the yard for a hutch....under a small tree which should help to provide a little shade, it is also against a south facing wall so that will protect her from the cold northern winds....or is that south facing wall only going to increase the over all temps? Maybe that is not a good idea? Our temps vary from 35-100....year round average is probably 65-75... Winter average is probably 45/50-65... Summer 65/85.

I drew up some preliminary plans and now need to convince my guys to make some time for my project!

Since we are typically warm temps here, I am thinking that a large portion of the wall of the hutch should be hinged so that in very warm weather I can open it and allow her more air circulation (I will put up a fine mesh screen that is a permanent wall), I will build a nice bedroom and load it with hay, a drop down 'rabbit hole' to hide in, as well as an open mesh dinning room (with hinged food trays) and a funnel underneath to funnel bunny poop down to a new worm bin. I think maybe the screen mesh wall should alos be hinged for easy access and cleaning. ......am I missing anything? Any other considerations?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like your Rex is going to have a great home. I tried to incorporate the funnel Idea as well but could not figure out how to apply it to my hutch. I did however buy one of those corner litter boxes which should make it easier to transfer to the worm bin. I was worried about our new little bunny being cold as well. She is only 7 weeks. My neighbor, very experienced with rabbits said she will be fine. Rabbits are very new for me. Such a learning experience.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
G~ what kind of rabbit did you end up with?

On the worm bin....I am actually a bit concerned about the sun hitting it and the cold of night in the winter...so we may do away with that option. The boys have STILL NOT started the project though.

Buns has plenty of grass time though, we created a little play yard for her so she can romp around...but it is a pain for me.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace,
I added a pic and update on my hutch project thread. she(I think) is a lop something cross. she is only 7 wks and just adorable. I went by the feed store and they had 6, 3 tan & grey and 3 grey. I couldn't resist.

I have been doing a bit more research and found a great web site with a ton of info. Things I didn't know about rabbits. I hope I don't kill her.

I do plan to get a little pen so she can come out and be free in the yard with the kids. More social. I added a little bedroom box to the hutch. She was so tiny and seemed to need that cubby space to sleep. Other than that she comes down and plays and seems to be ok.

How is your duck adventure coming along?