need ideas for uses for plastic coffee cans!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i had asked a few family members for their empty coffee cans. well i have tons of them now. i use them to measure feed and dh has many he uses in the garage for holding stuff. i have a couple i keep by the front door for gloves. and 1 for extra leashes and collars. anyone else have any ideas? hate to tell them to throw them away.

by the way.. these are the plastic ones, with lids. i wish they still had the metal ones.
If it's plastic it's best for holding small plants. you can start with some vegetable seeds. you may find a brand new hobby.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Old thread. But, I use plastic coffee cans for Kratky hydroponics. They are perfect. I've set aside a couple large ones to grow a bush cuke, and patio tomato. I also use them to collect compost. Cover fits securely, but I usually set a dessert plate on top of them. A quick rinse, and they are ready for re-use. At church, we have a pile of empty plastic cans. Used coffee grounds are placed in them. I can plan on bringing home 2 cans full of grounds every week. I then return the cans to be refilled. If I build a larger hydroponic or auqaponic system this summer, a coffee can could be repurposed into a filtration system.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in the bottom center of the plastic ones. Insert a length of small diameter jute cord and tie a knot in each end. As you pull the cord through, it makes the sound of a bull moose and is great for calling in bull moose during rut.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stole this from Pinterest - giving credit here. I promise you I'm going to do this one!

Upcycled Coffee Container Birdhouse
Upcycled Coffee Container Birdhouse

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in the bottom center of the plastic ones. Insert a length of small diameter jute cord and tie a knot in each end. As you pull the cord through, it makes the sound of a bull moose and is great for calling in bull moose during rut.
That's a great idea. that's a good alternative. I wish I've read this before, It's been 2 weeks since I downloaded an app on my phone and bought a speaker for it. Thanks for the Idea though.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i had asked a few family members for their empty coffee cans. well i have tons of them now. i use them to measure feed and dh has many he uses in the garage for holding stuff. i have a couple i keep by the front door for gloves. and 1 for extra leashes and collars. anyone else have any ideas? hate to tell them to throw them away.

by the way.. these are the plastic ones, with lids. i wish they still had the metal ones.
Here in the Philippines, we can recycle everything, You can transform your old metal coffee cans into great bread baking pans, Upcycled Coffee Can Birdhouse, Burlap Covered Decorative Coffee Cans, DIY Coffee Can Cubbies, Upcycled Coffee Can Ombre Vase, Coffee Can Wine Shelf, DIY Upcycled Kitchen Cans, DIY Coffee Can Plunger Holder.