need ideas for uses for plastic coffee cans!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yah but when you get @6 a month for over 2 years....

we do:
1) measuring feed (every animal has their own)
2) store smaller crafting supplies
3) store nuts-bolts type stuff in the barn
4) made a tp holder last year for camping
5) feed scoops
6) i have starts of my house plants in a few.
7) a dust bath for my baby chin
8) hide houses for the smaller snakes

we have started giving them away to friends that can use them. i have 3 feed sacks full right now in case i think of another use here.

mom volentiers at the local grade school and she asked if i wanted her to save me some of the 1 gallon tin cans. hmmmmm...
she said when they have nachos those cans have plastic lids.
*sigh*
i am going to end up on that horders show. :th

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
nelson castro said:
It's hard to pass up on something you can really use that's free, but you probably have been doing just that. If you have been throwing out those plastic coffee cans, you've been shortchanging yourself. These freebie plastic bins are great for all kinds of things . Just fill the empty container with cold water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar. Let it sit overnight, and wash in the morning. The coffee smell will be gone.

A Tissue Dispenser -- Remove the plastic lid and cut a round hole (about and inch and a half in diameter) in the center of it. Make four small cuts at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock to "grab" the tissue as it's torn off. (Think about the cuts in the top of a container of wipes). Measure the height and circumference of the can. Using these measurements, cut contact paper or wallpaper to cover the can. Contact paper should stick on its own. Use the glue if it doesn't or if you choose to use wallpaper. Apply stickers, stamps, draw designs, personalize it with the teacher's name or decorate the can however you choose. ;)
OOohhh good idea :)
Glad you like the idea of recycling it into a useful one. ;)

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, these things are so tempting to figure out what to put in them. so far I've stored mixed nuts that I buy separately and mix my own, haven't noticed any trouble with coffee smell. Tea bags that come in boxes I like to have sealed in these. And my laundry powder mixture of 20 Mule Team Borax and washing soda. There are garage organizing tips about nailing the bottoms of these to the wall, lined up however it works for you, and storing small things in them. They don't hold quite as much, but without the lids on, the contents are on display. :)

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
One use I havnt heard is I used one for the head of my scarecrow (Nelson). I just sprayed it primer grey and drew a face on it. Nelson is on his third year and still looks great. I also use screw them to a board for open front storage, but I cut the lid in half put some adhesive in the seal and snap it on, that way it holds more. I have also saw DW use them to bread small amounts of meat or fish, plus we used them for covering small plants against frost in the garden this spring...:)

savalot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
By reading this I've picked up some useful ideas . I just can't throw them out either .
1. I have used them for my dogs biscuits.
2. and as butt cans in the yard , because I hate it when people just flick there cigs. any where.:somad

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We save and give to a friend who teaches 2nd grade. They use them for crayons, etc. I have one in the closet that I put change in. Also have one in the dog food container as a scoop.

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've heard of these used as makeshift medical collars for goats, used like cones for dogs, to keep them from reaching around and re-irritating wounds that need to be left alone to heal. Cut off the bottom, make a vertical cut from bottom to top, and make lacing holes an inch apart on each side. Wrap around neck of animal, lace up with a bootlace or what have you, and it will keep the critter from bothering the site of the injury. This use destroys the "containerness" of the coffee tub, but takes advantage of the degree of firmness and flexibility that this sort of plastic has, for a very particular purpose. If such collars exist commercially, you can bet that as low-demand items they are probably quite expensive!

eagrbeavr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Keep a spool of twine or such in it. Cut a hole thru the middle of the lid, running the end of the twine thru it to use. You could even put more than one spool in there. Just make a hole coming out of the top for each end.

Last edited: