need ideas for uses for plastic coffee cans!

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We still get the metal ones. The off brands come in them, you just have to find a brand that you like. I don't drink coffee but my wife does and she buys the big metal cans of "Master Chef" brand. I have dozens of the old ones in the garage filled with nuts, bolts, screws, washers, nails, you get the idea. About 50 more cans and I might actually get everything in the garage all sorted out. I don't use them for food because they don't really seal, for food/grains we collect the 1 gallon glass jars from bars and restaurants, the type pickles and olives come in. So far we have almost 100 of them stored on wire shelving in our kitchen, it looks really "country" too. As far as the plastic coffee cans, we have yet to find anything useful for them other than letting the kids play with them in the mud and bailing the boat out.
Here is one of our shelving units with jars. Hooks from bungee cords help keep our pots and pans organized. We are VERY limited on cabinet space.
jars.jpg

IW

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I painted the outside of one and turned it into a pot for my bamboo that had outgrown it's old pot. It's been growing there for months now and seems perfectly happy :)

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
one use i have found for the plastic cans with lids is for putting kitchen scraps in. they do very well in keeping the odors contained. jon:thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I do the same thing, then when they get full, take them out and dump them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We use them for a lot of things, most of which have already been mentioned. We do use them to keep craft items organized too though. DD and niecey have beads stored in some. They are pretty handy for organizing things like that.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i had asked a few family members for their empty coffee cans. well i have tons of them now. i use them to measure feed and dh has many he uses in the garage for holding stuff. i have a couple i keep by the front door for gloves. and 1 for extra leashes and collars. anyone else have any ideas? hate to tell them to throw them away.

by the way.. these are the plastic ones, with lids. i wish they still had the metal ones.
With all the horses and chickens we have, we never have enough coffee cans, so really only have one use for them- to measure and carry feeds lol

sillychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
all sorts of stuff

I use them while painting so I don't have to carry the full can up the ladder. Though I wouldn't store paint in them long term.
I use them to take grain out to the critters.
To store hardware stuff in, nails, screws, fencing clamps... etc..
Storing stuff in general really.
TP in my hunting blinds for sure!

I agree that I wouldn't use to store food because I don't trust the lid either.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't ever get them bc I buy whole beans in bags and grind my coffee. BUT, it's hard to imagine not finding a use for them. Sewing supplies, carrying out animal feed in small portions, gardening (seeds and small parts for tools).
Just remember to label your plastic cans. Masking tape and sharpies work very well for me.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's hard to pass up on something you can really use that's free, but you probably have been doing just that. If you have been throwing out those plastic coffee cans, you've been shortchanging yourself. These freebie plastic bins are great for all kinds of things . Just fill the empty container with cold water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar. Let it sit overnight, and wash in the morning. The coffee smell will be gone.

A Tissue Dispenser -- Remove the plastic lid and cut a round hole (about and inch and a half in diameter) in the center of it. Make four small cuts at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock to "grab" the tissue as it's torn off. (Think about the cuts in the top of a container of wipes). Measure the height and circumference of the can. Using these measurements, cut contact paper or wallpaper to cover the can. Contact paper should stick on its own. Use the glue if it doesn't or if you choose to use wallpaper. Apply stickers, stamps, draw designs, personalize it with the teacher's name or decorate the can however you choose. ;)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
It's hard to pass up on something you can really use that's free, but you probably have been doing just that. If you have been throwing out those plastic coffee cans, you've been shortchanging yourself. These freebie plastic bins are great for all kinds of things . Just fill the empty container with cold water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar. Let it sit overnight, and wash in the morning. The coffee smell will be gone.

A Tissue Dispenser -- Remove the plastic lid and cut a round hole (about and inch and a half in diameter) in the center of it. Make four small cuts at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock to "grab" the tissue as it's torn off. (Think about the cuts in the top of a container of wipes). Measure the height and circumference of the can. Using these measurements, cut contact paper or wallpaper to cover the can. Contact paper should stick on its own. Use the glue if it doesn't or if you choose to use wallpaper. Apply stickers, stamps, draw designs, personalize it with the teacher's name or decorate the can however you choose. ;)
OOohhh good idea :)