Need Low Budget Kitchen Remodel ideas

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You guys are making me sooooooooooooooo tempted to knock that wall outta there.....I mentioned something about where is the sledgehammer to the hubbs when I was contemplating the kitchen and he gave me a look of panic. This isn't the week for purchases...I'd love to be shopping at IKEA today though.

I'm quite a do-it-yourselfer but can't do much woodworking or electrical or plumbing. I think I'd better practice somewhere other than my kitchen, but gosh I'd like to have a genie and wish one of those stainless steel sinks here, along with a new dishwasher on a butcher block and knock out that wall, reposition the sink. The extra bedroom behind the kitchen is tiny but does have a large window overlooking the garden and a closet. I don't know how "supporting" the wall is, or how you tell? I'm in a rickety ol' single wide so I suspect all these walls are needed to hold the place up. lol

But I'm thinking if I got portable units, I could reposition them anytime if I were to get the wall out or move, whichever. I'm really into rearranging the furniture so that appeals to me!

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My kitchen has only a sliver of counter on each side of the sink. I tore down the overhead cabinets which made the room look even smaller and replaced it with the pantry (on the left) at a yard sale for $10 & painted it . It holds all my dishes & spices & dry goods.
Pots & pans go under the stove & the sink. I got that whacking great table for $40 at an auction & plan to paint that as well.
If you have a narrow kitchen, Just Cabinets sells a rolling rectangular wood countertop w/ a shelf for about $125. I put the freezer on the back porch.

Excuse the dirty dishes in the pic- I just finished a cooking/preserving spree today!
286_p1010060.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is an awesome table!

I was looking at my house today....that wall has to be a supporting wall. This house was remodeled once already and the side support is already gone to open the house to the addition, I can SEE it needs that wall. Sigh. I also see that the hallway is too narrow to put the freezer or refridgerator in there. Sigh again.

Perhaps instead of knocking out a wall, I oughta just push this ol' house off this hill instead.....

jameswhite1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Near about one year ago i had taken the services of general contractor san diego for remodeling of my kitchen, those are well known for Home Remodeling, Kitchen Remodeling and Other construction related services. I felt that they are so cheap and services are also satisfied.

charitytaylor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I heard a lot about the RTA store from my colleagues and friends who already used their product. I have recently orders some drawer and door sample for checking the material quality, the shipping was free with fabulous material quality.

lazzydesoza

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Remodeling is quite tedious work. It needs a lot of patience and hard work along with the money. I got a part of it renovated earlier this year. That part was to get the cabinets changed. No doubt it now looks awesome but it is really very hectic and confusing. I think one can opt for this as it is pocket friendly and attractive too. I like it. Thanks for the share. :)
Know more here:
custom closets New York

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been slowly remodeling my kitchen and was stumped about the floor. I couldn't afford ceramic tiles but didn't like the vinyl squares much. I was at Lowe's and saw that they had a new (well, at least I hadn't seen it before) idea...they had 18 inch tiles that looked like ceramic, and you have the option of putting special grout between them! I did it all in about 2 days, put them in diagonally (just peel and stick) and if it was a little "off" in measurement (sure enough, my walls were NOT even!) the spacing between them helped hide anything that didn't match perfectly. Friends and family who have seen it keep bending down to be sure it's not ceramic because it looks like it. The grout makes all the difference. It's premade and specifically made for vinyl squares. I just used my finger and spread it like peanut butter. After every yard or so I wiped off the excess with a damp cloth (which is really the only really annoying part, you have to have a bunch of cloths and rinse them out thoroughly each time).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds nice. I'll have to look at them when (if) we redo our kitchen.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds great! Pictures, please? My peel-and -stick tiles are in sad shape and need a redo. I might just have to give this a looksee