Need low carb breakfast ideas-flax pancake verdict is in

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, I confess, I haven't been eating breakfast much lately. It's been a hot summer here like many places. I'm sick to death of eggs. I need grain-free low carb breakfast ideas for work mornings. Thanks!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FLAX PANCAKE
3 tablespoons golden flax meal
1 teaspoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon water

In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix well with a fork. Pour into a greased 8-9" glass pie plate. Spread batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2-3 minutes, until cooked through but still soft. I flipped mine over after about 2 minutes and microwaved it another 20 seconds to set up the underside better because it looked kind of eggy. Serve with low carb syrup.

Makes 1 serving

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 275 Calories; 24g Fat; 10g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 273 Calories; 24g Fat; 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb

Apple Flax Seed MuffinsIngredients:
1 and 1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Artificial sweetener equal to 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup can be flavored sugar-free syrup)
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup liquid (flavored syrup or water)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 medium apple, chopped fairly finely
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-muffin tin very well.

1. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the rest of them.

2. Let batter stand 10 minutes, then put into the muffin pan and bake for about 18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and muffins just barely start to pull away from the sides of the tin.

Nutritional Information: Each muffin contains 2 grams link ecc effective carbohydrate plus 5 grams fiber.

-----------
I haven't made the pancakes before, but I have made the apple muffins several times and they are delicious.

But.... you MUST use one of those silicone muffin 'tins' or you will NOT get them out.

I also have a recipe for flax bread, and the recipe calls for you to make it focaccia style, but I use a silicone loaf pan, then when the bread is cooled, I slice, freeze individually on a cookie sheet, then put them in afreezer bag.

Flax Bread

2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
5 beaten eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment. If dumping focaccia style--bake for 20 mins. I used a loaf pan, and baked for 40 minutes.

You can also add different seasonings. I have added rosemary, garlic etc.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks! I wonder if I can use Stevia or xylitol instead of the Splenda in the pancakes?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am lazy and get oh so tired of eggs.....blech.

I prefer kefir smoothies.
My latest fad is:
1 large kale leaf
1/2 c frozen spinach (kale & spinach for those all important dark leafy greens)
1/2 c froz blueberries (antioxidants)
1/4 banana (a little sweetness)
8oz kefir (protein)
1/2 c coconut milk (good fat)
A little filtered water to thin

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:

My latest fad is:
1 large kale leaf
8oz kefir (protein)
I won't say I won't try it. It's a little intimidating, I admit! You're a braver woman than I Dace!
My own kefir was a failure. Do you make your own?
I'm not suppose to eat bananas so I'd have to leave it out. I have done yogurt and fruit smoothies. They are great to bring to work and drink on the way in!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I used stevia in the bread, but not the muffins (didn't have enough at that point) but I would give it a try.
Thanks! I will let you know how it works. We are headed to Whole Foods in a few minutes. Without DS! He is staying at Grandma's for dinner so DH and I can focus and make sure we both end up with food we can eat.
If I could afford to just a eat a huge chunk of their maple smoked salmon every morning, I'd be a happy girl!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Dace said:

My latest fad is:
1 large kale leaf
8oz kefir (protein)
I won't say I won't try it. It's a little intimidating, I admit! You're a braver woman than I Dace!
My own kefir was a failure. Do you make your own?
I'm not suppose to eat bananas so I'd have to leave it out. I have done yogurt and fruit smoothies. They are great to bring to work and drink on the way in!
Sissy!

No I am kidding....you completely can not taste the greens! All you taste is the fruit and a hint of coconut. Any fruit is good, a little apple works well to sweeten also, or a drizzle of raw honey...just go easy on the fruit.

I will warn you, it is an ugly color, kind of grey green. I finally convinced my MIL to taste it and she said she would have never guessed that it tasted to good. My Hubby will not drink them if they taste green...I put 3/4 of a banana in his.

Latest posts