Need No wheat cookies, crackers and bread recipes please

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't posted in a while and have only occasionally been on but things have been really busy.
My son has recently been diagnosed with an allergy to wheat. We don't think there is a problem with gluten just wheat but we should know the answer to that for sure when the blood test results come back in a few weeks.
I am currently all backed up with too much to do and not enough time (as in last night finally got about two thirds -700+- home christmas gift candies dipped in chocolate and the afghan I am crocheting for my niece is about two thirds done, not to mention all the other and regular stuff). Basically I got more on my plate than I need right now. So I need some quick pointers, recipes and suggestions of sources until I can spend time to research myself.
My son absolutely loves bread. Not the mention cookies- what college kid doesn't. He's a pretty accomplished cook himself and has done well making his own bread. But what we need is recipes for bread, crackers, cookies,etc that don't involve wheat. With the holidays this is even more important. One of our family gatherings involves a meal of almost nothing but cookies ,crackers, and chips. Ok a few vegis and meats are thrown in but basically it's all horderves type. So we need some things for him.

Also I'd like more info on different flours and what works best in what. And sources for some of them. So far I have made a few mistakes thinking a grain was not wheat only to find out that in reality it was for example spelt. So a list of grains that fall into that category would be good also. Quick Internet searches has proven to provide conflicting info about some grains.

And last my Christmas wish list has a grain mill on it but not a make or model yet. I have been using my VitaMix to grind grains for years but it's not ideal especially in volume and since I need to start using more alternate flours I think a grain mill is even more important. I would like one that in manual but has powered option. Also since my son is in his final year of college and swears he's not coming back home for any extended length of time I think a grain mill for him might be a good idea too if the quality and price is right. Granted I doubt he would care for a manual operation so for him powered with maybe a manual option would be best. Of course price is ging to be a big factor in both units. So I'd love suggestions on these too.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone happy holidays and warm toes for the winter.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My mother developed a wheat allergy a few years back, I'll try to get some recipes from her. She was actually able to defeat the allergy and return to a normal diet using I believe accupressure treatments. I'll ask.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure about flours, but Bobs red mill has some decent mixes. You can also buy premixed flours for pancakes, bread, etc. Bobs Red Mill brownie mix tastes really good. Those mixes can be really expensive, though. Once you figure out which flavor is tolerable, you could probably mix your own. I'm sure there's a recipe somewhere on the web. I am sure someone here can steer you in the direction of a good cookbook. My aunt, brother in law, and sister in law have all been gluten free for about a year. Suddenly they are allergic. If you are making something like pasta salad or macaroni salad, the corn noodles have the best mouthfeel. The salad should be prepared the day you eat it, though. The noodles get rubbery when it sits in the fridge over night. My aunt says the quinoa noodles taste terrible, but you'll have to just see what he likes.

Generally, he will just have to rethink his carbs. Eat rice and potatoes as starches instead of pastas, use corn tortillas, gluten free breadcrumbs in meatballs, etc. The only thing my aunt misses is sandwiches. She says all the bread tastes terrible, and crumbles when she bites into it. It's easier in more urban areas, because those folks have access to gluten free bakeries and pizzerias.

While I used to love making bread, I don't eat a lot of it with dinner. I am thinking of phasing out wheat to see if it helps my allergies and asthma. Good luck.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
Not sure about flours, but Bobs red mill has some decent mixes. You can also buy premixed flours for pancakes, bread, etc. Bobs Red Mill brownie mix tastes really good. Those mixes can be really expensive, though. Once you figure out which flavor is tolerable, you could probably mix your own. I'm sure there's a recipe somewhere on the web. I am sure someone here can steer you in the direction of a good cookbook. My aunt, brother in law, and sister in law have all been gluten free for about a year. Suddenly they are allergic. If you are making something like pasta salad or macaroni salad, the corn noodles have the best mouthfeel. The salad should be prepared the day you eat it, though. The noodles get rubbery when it sits in the fridge over night. My aunt says the quinoa noodles taste terrible, but you'll have to just see what he likes.

Generally, he will just have to rethink his carbs. Eat rice and potatoes as starches instead of pastas, use corn tortillas, gluten free breadcrumbs in meatballs, etc. The only thing my aunt misses is sandwiches. She says all the bread tastes terrible, and crumbles when she bites into it. It's easier in more urban areas, because those folks have access to gluten free bakeries and pizzerias.

While I used to love making bread, I don't eat a lot of it with dinner. I am thinking of phasing out wheat to see if it helps my allergies and asthma. Good luck.
Wheat allergies have nothing to do with gluten.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes I know, but the OP mentioned further testing. Since many gluten free products are also wheat free, the diets and substitutions can be quite similar.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom is allergic to wheat and cannot handle any of the gums they use in products. I'd asked her for her baking powder biscuit recipe a few weeks ago.

1 1/2 C glutinous rice flour
1/2 C sweet potato flour
1/2 C tapioca flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
2 tsp sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 to 2/3 C milk
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Add eggs. Add 1/2 cup milk (more if needed to reach consistency) and mix to make a soft dough. Kneed it as little as possible. Pat or roll out to desired thickness and cut out biscuits. Any of the flours can be used to flour the board.

Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 450* for 10-12 minutes.

garyhall

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking for gluten free gift basket ideas when I stumbled upon Gluten Free Palace. You mentioned having a lot on your plate right now, so I think you'll love this. You get to buy your gluten free products online (saves time and money) and they have a wide range of products to choose from, right from gluten free breads, cookies and cakes to baking mixes and condiments. They have some great recipes you could check out as well. Good luck!

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
garyhall said:
I was looking for gluten free gift basket ideas when I stumbled upon Gluten Free Palace. You mentioned having a lot on your plate right now, so I think you'll love this. You get to buy your gluten free products online (saves time and money) and they have a wide range of products to choose from, right from gluten free breads, cookies and cakes to baking mixes and condiments. They have some great recipes you could check out as well. Good luck!
Again, wheat allergies have NOTHING to do with gluten.

wannabefarmergirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is a great recipe

Multi Grain Crackers

cup blanched almond flour
cup macadamia nuts
1 tablespoon coconut flour
cup pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon vegan shortening
cup water

1.Pulse almond flour, macadamias and coconut flour in a food processor until well ground
2.Pulse in seeds, flax meal and salt until almost fully ground (leave a little texture for crunch)
3.Pulse in shortening, then water; dough will form a ball in food processor
4.Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to inch (or less) thick
5.Cut into 2-inch squares, 5 rows each way
6.Bake at 300 for 20 to 25 minutes (or dehydrate; havent tried so you will need to experiment)
7.Serve