need pep talk for cooking some nice lamb loin chops

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm envious. I've never cooked good lamb. Ground, often. Cheaper cuts, sure. But ooooo I wanna go to your house and cook those up :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
abi, we have so much lamb in the freezer right now, even if you made it up next year, we would still hav some choice cuts for you. I'm just an hour from the Detroit border :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*starts driving*

wait. i have no car.

*steals car. starts driving*

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*stops to get a passport*

LOL

I should do that anyway this summer. It's on my list of Important Things To Do.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a deal, Pat :woot. I love lamb, though DH not so much, so we don't eat it often. Had I got here sooner I would have suggested smearing them with crushed garlic, black pepper, some olive oil, and maybe a little chopped rosemary (for next time ;)), broiling or grilling them, and serving with a mint sauce (like they use in England, not mint jelly). But it sounds like you did just fine without me :p.
My mother used to make lamb patties from ground lamb, and wrap each one around the circumference with a slice of bacon, and then broil. I remember them as being quite tasty - but, like I said, we don't eat much lamb :( (he's getting better; when we met he wouldn't even consider it, now I could probably do something with lamb 5-6 times a year. Its only taken 37 years :lol:).

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the prices, that was really interesting. I live in NZ and we pay way more than that for NZ lamb here. I was at the supermarket the other day. rack of lamb, $32.99 a kg!!! I almost fell down. Then promptly went and got the hubby so we could laugh at the price together :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
wow. really? and you're in NZ? Hubby and I were seriously considering expanding our sheep biz. I figure we could be rich with those prices.
and those are import prices, you pay more from the same country. wow.

Now, my disclaimer is this was frozen lamb. If you were to get it fresh from the meat counter at the grocery store, I'm sure it would be more.

still, we are eating like royalty, with all the lamb we have in our freezer. LOVE it :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Flossy, do you raise your own sheep? this was our first butcher. we love it. Apparentlly NZ lamb is supposed to be the bomb. But I do know that we will be raising lamb for ever now. Now, if we could get baon from lamb, I would have no need for pigs--it is that good (but nothing can repalce bacon) :D

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
We sent three of the lambs to the butcher (the others we did ourselves), and we got back lots of stew meat, so I am looking for creative ways to use it. That will be a challenge.
:frow

Over here in the UK we , of course, eat a lot of it..... :drool So there are masses of recipes on British sites. The BBC have their own food recipe lists, with tested dishes by well known cooks who appear on their programmes. Just remember they are in metric measurements.... :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/s...x=15&y=14&occasions[]=&chefs[]=&programmes[]=

Personally I love the combination of apricots (fresh or dried) with lamb & I often cook it in my slow cooker until it virtually falls apart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?keywords=lamb+&x=17&y=15

***there are 44 pages of recipes here

There are literally thousands of recipes on this BBC site so just key in a category & sit back & salivate........ :drool :drool :drool

Hattie