need pep talk for cooking some nice lamb loin chops

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We eat lamb probably every week or two but only the cheap cuts.

But, the supermarket today had a mysterious package of really good-looking lamb loin chops that was packaged differently from the others, marked at half the price-per-kg, AND 30% off because last-date-for-sale.

So I currently have eight loin chops (about 1.5-2" thick) that cost me not quite $6 total, sitting in my fridge and better get used for dinner. I have opened the plastic wrap enough to confirm that they smell fine; I have NO idea what the deal is with them but oh well they are mine now :p

I have never cooked, nor probably ever even *eaten*, this cut of lamb in my life, what can I say. I would assume that you sear it in a hot pan and then let it sit to cook only until med-rare in the middle, yes?, but any specific cooking suggestions would be appreciated as I would hate to ruin a basically-somewhat-expensive piece of meat.

Seasoning or pan sauce suggestions appreciated too. I have the usual pantry staples (garlic, oregano, an orange, etc) except I do not have any rosemary so don't suggest it :)

Thanks,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
OOOOOOOHH!!!! We have been feasting on lamb chops lately. You can either brine in 1 tblespoon water in a quart of water, add rosemary, salt, garlic and pepper, and let sit for about an hour. Take out and drip dry. Turn oven on th broil on high. Up as close as you can go, lay the chops on the roasting pan and broil for 6 minutes a side for medium rare. Easy peasy and delicious!!!!!

Or, you can do a rub of olive oil, then same herb/spices as before, just rub tha ton the chops and let sit for about an hour, then broil the same way. I have done it both ways, both ar good. I tried searing them in the frying pan before, but the smoke alarm kept going off, so it is ove broiling for me.. ENJOY!!!!!

(one of the benefits of having had 6 baby lambs :drool)

Opps, I got carried away, no rosemary-bummer. I suppose you could sub in some thyme, or just leave that part out. they are amazing, so you don't really need the rosemary.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
We eat lamb probably every week or two but only the cheap cuts.

But, the supermarket today had a mysterious package of really good-looking lamb loin chops that was packaged differently from the others, marked at half the price-per-kg, AND 30% off because last-date-for-sale.

So I currently have eight loin chops (about 1.5-2" thick) that cost me not quite $6 total, sitting in my fridge and better get used for dinner. I have opened the plastic wrap enough to confirm that they smell fine; I have NO idea what the deal is with them but oh well they are mine now :p

I have never cooked, nor probably ever even *eaten*, this cut of lamb in my life, what can I say. I would assume that you sear it in a hot pan and then let it sit to cook only until med-rare in the middle, yes?, but any specific cooking suggestions would be appreciated as I would hate to ruin a basically-somewhat-expensive piece of meat.

Seasoning or pan sauce suggestions appreciated too. I have the usual pantry staples (garlic, oregano, an orange, etc) except I do not have any rosemary so don't suggest it :)

Thanks,

Pat
If you have it, marinate them in red wine/port and garlic and oil for a while. OR, marinate with the wine and oil, and then use the marinade to make a reduction with cherries or raspberries (fresh, frozen or dried). Grill or broil the chops.

Yum!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
All done, very tasty! Thanks guys, DOH I would not have thought of broiling them if you had not pointed it out! (I tend not to broil as we have an oversensitive smoke alarm, so I forget broiling even exists)

I marinated them for about an hour in good olive oil and garlic and oregano and black pepper, on the countertop so they would warm up a bit, then broiled both sides til done. Actually NOT smoking all that much, strangely enough.

They were really good and the kids want to know when we can have them again, sigh :p Also the dog now comes to heel REALLY PROMPTLY <g>

Much appreciated, sorry I can't give you a taste thru the computer :),

Pat

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maaaaaaan...I was hoping I could con you into thinking they were bad and mailing them to me :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed them We love them!

Seriously, I have been sooooo glad hubby talked me into getting sheep to milk. Even though we will not be repeating that, we all have very much enjoyed eating the lambs. It is now, hands down, our favourite meat. My kids request it when ever I ask what they want for dinner.

Funny you say you don't broil because of the smoke alarm. Broiling works great--it is panfrying that sets mine off. Hubby got so sick of the alarm going off all the time, he disconnected it. (it is hardwired--in the laundry room, just outside the kitchen) He says not to worry though, the one in the hall near the bedrooms and the one in the basement will not be affected. In the winter, my smoke alarm goes off many times. Broiling has not set it of though.

I'm seriously thinking that if we had more land, I would get into sheep raising. i was at the grocery store the other day, and took the time to notice the prices for lamb. It was frozen, but eh prices wer outrageous.
Frenched rack of lamb--$24.99/kg
Loin chops--20.99/kg
leg of lamb--$12.10/kg
shoulder--$8.80/kg
ground lamb--$7.49/kg

Man, we are eating like royalty right now. :p Just wait until you butcher your own.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good heavens, where are you finding ground lamb for $8/kg? Wowiee! I would be first in line. Around here it *starts* at about $11/kg and the ontario-labelled stuff is closer to $17/kg. That's for ground meat, not actual chops or whatever. We don't actually buy ground lamb very often :p

Yeah, I am hoping my sheeps have buns in the ovens, but I really dunno. Assuming I still even *have* them come springtime I think I will just have to wait and see if I am surprised some morning(s) or not. If they do lamb, I might make some effort to find upright-and-kickin' homes for females but males would def. be headed for freezerland.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Food Basics. I noticed some frozen lamb in one of their bunkers, noticed the prices, grabbed a pen and paper, and started writing it all down. It was New Zealand lamb.

We have lots of ground mutton in the freezer. We butchered one of the the ewes, and turned her into lamburger. The other one is going too, but hasn't yet. We kept one baby, (her name is kitten) all the rest are in the freezer. We will keep Kitten and breed her next year, but as it is now, we are swimming in lamb. I think I am as crazy for lamb as OFG is for her pork. It's awesome!

As for now, Kitten, Annabelle (the calf) and the two horses are paddock mates and getting along great. Duchess (the other ewe is still here, but will be leaving one of these days.

We sent three of the lambs to the butcher (the others we did ourselves), and we got back lots of stew meat, so I am looking for creative ways to use it. That will be a challenge.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
There is a whole wide range of curry-type things (and I don't mean it in the sense of 'you use curry paste/powder and it's yellow and gloppy', I mean it in the sense of a whole wide genre of various cooking preparations that use that general suite of spices) that work most excellently with lamb and mutton. Check out what your library has :)

Also, ground lamb is great for practically anything ground beef is. Lamb loaf, lamb meatballs, on pizza, in spaghetti sauce, etc. Often you'll want to adjust the seasoning a bit but it is nearly as versatile as ground beef.

Jealously <g>,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah, the lamburger I have pretty much mastered. We butchered her months ago. We just got the three back from the shop on Tuesday and we got alot of stew meat. I'll get it figured out, but don't want to get tired of always cooking it the same way.

It's leg o'lamb tomorrow :D