Need Pregnancy Nutrition Suggestions for Difficult Situation

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Laura, I've just read through this thread, and wanted to say that I have my fingers crossed for you and your baby. I noticed that you mentioned eating alfalfa sprouts at one point. I don't know if you have jumped on the Nourishing Traditions bandwagon, but one thing that Sally Fallon says in that book is that alfalfa sprouts are not good. Apparently they "inhibit the immune system and can contribute to inflammatory arthritis and lupus". Since reading that I now sprout clover seeds* instead of alfalfa, although to date I haven't had any auto immune problems; just seemed like a good idea to make the switch :) (*And a number of other sprouts as well, but clover sprouts fill the *alfalfa* niche quite well)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to whine. I feel YUCKY! Positively green. Definitely morning sick, only all day.

The worst part is that I HAVE to eat certain things because they are about the only foods I have available that I can absorb enough of Vitamin A, Magnesium, Calcium, etc.

You would not believe how revolting carrots look right now, or how awful normally delicious homemade focaccia can taste.

I suppose it is a good thing - I mean, morning sick usually means the hormones are kicking in.

But I always forget how awful this part feels.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
After reading this I wish my quail would hurry up and start laying so I could send you some eggs!!! :hugs I've never even been able to conceive so I am pulling for you to take this baby to term and beyond!!! Will say a prayer for you and the little vitamin sucker in there :lol:

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the hugs and good wishes.

I think I passed a crucial point last night. Yesterday was really difficult, I just could not keep up with the b6 and A, and was just SO tired of eating when I did not feel like it, of being hungry and needing food fast, of not being able to get anything myself but having to rely on someone else to bring me every little thing, of being exhausted if I moved around for even a few minutes.

And then bedtime, knowing I'd just be up and down all night, taking supplements to stop an uneven heart rate (the first symptom I get of A and b6 deficiencies), eating more carrots because we ran out of squash, feeling SO exhausted and sleepy and knowing I'd get a bad night's sleep. Makes me dread going to bed.

Anyway, I knew, right then, that this was the choice. That it was not likely to get much easier. If I kept at it, eventually I'd find ways to deal with it, I'd get used to coping. But right now, it was so hard, and not going to get better any time soon.

I knew with great clarity, that if I chose NOT to do it, this baby WOULD die. And if he does, I will not have another chance. I can't even define how I know that, but I do. I'm 46 years old, and there aren't a lot of viable eggs left in there. I just felt that this was my choice - I could fight for this baby, and had a good chance of winning, or I could let him go, and that my life would have to take another direction.

I chose to fight. To keep fighting. It is still hard, but I now feel like I at least know what the choice actually is, and that it IS worth fighting for.

When I was pregnant with Sidney, I begged to keep her, and could not. I knew that if she lived, she'd have lifelong problems, medical issues, and need very intensive care. I wanted her so bad I was willing to do whatever it took. I made sacrifices for her that I did not think myself capable of making, because I just wanted her to have a chance.

I guess I just realized last night that this wasn't any different - I'm not losing sleep over a child that needs medicated every 2 hours, or having to feed a preemie, or staying up in the wee hours with a crying baby. But it is the same as if I were. There is a baby that needs me to just do whatever it takes.

Life is irreplaceable. Giving up cannot be an option.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Thanks for the hugs and good wishes.

I think I passed a crucial point last night. Yesterday was really difficult, I just could not keep up with the b6 and A, and was just SO tired of eating when I did not feel like it, of being hungry and needing food fast, of not being able to get anything myself but having to rely on someone else to bring me every little thing, of being exhausted if I moved around for even a few minutes.

And then bedtime, knowing I'd just be up and down all night, taking supplements to stop an uneven heart rate (the first symptom I get of A and b6 deficiencies), eating more carrots because we ran out of squash, feeling SO exhausted and sleepy and knowing I'd get a bad night's sleep. Makes me dread going to bed.

Anyway, I knew, right then, that this was the choice. That it was not likely to get much easier. If I kept at it, eventually I'd find ways to deal with it, I'd get used to coping. But right now, it was so hard, and not going to get better any time soon.

I knew with great clarity, that if I chose NOT to do it, this baby WOULD die. And if he does, I will not have another chance. I can't even define how I know that, but I do. I'm 46 years old, and there aren't a lot of viable eggs left in there. I just felt that this was my choice - I could fight for this baby, and had a good chance of winning, or I could let him go, and that my life would have to take another direction.

I chose to fight. To keep fighting. It is still hard, but I now feel like I at least know what the choice actually is, and that it IS worth fighting for.

When I was pregnant with Sidney, I begged to keep her, and could not. I knew that if she lived, she'd have lifelong problems, medical issues, and need very intensive care. I wanted her so bad I was willing to do whatever it took. I made sacrifices for her that I did not think myself capable of making, because I just wanted her to have a chance.

I guess I just realized last night that this wasn't any different - I'm not losing sleep over a child that needs medicated every 2 hours, or having to feed a preemie, or staying up in the wee hours with a crying baby. But it is the same as if I were. There is a baby that needs me to just do whatever it takes.

Life is irreplaceable. Giving up cannot be an option.
Laura,
With God, all things are possible.
I know many will never understand that mindset, but its so true!

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm keeping you and your little one in my prayers.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Laura, you are truly an amazing woman, and I get the feeling from you that you do it through God's strength, and not your own. God bless you, and I'm praying for you and this precious gift of a little one!