Need recipes using Deer steak and Deer Loin

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I wonder if "wild" comes through when bones have been cut through in the processing. Ours tastes most awesome and not wild at all.

For loins, we cut into thick or thin chops, then fry on high until seared on 1 side, flip, then fry until juice/blood rises to the surface. Most excellent with fried peppers, onions and mushrooms!

If you want roasts, stick them in the crockpot with some onions and cook on low heat all day. Then cut and shred, make gravy, make BBQ sauce, or whatever. Very tasty.

Otherwise, if you grind this meat up, simply use interchangeably with beef. Except for burgers, in which case it may be juicier if you have a 1:1 ratio of beef to venison. I prefer venison over beef every single day of the week!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't taste the wild in the meat but he says he has in the past. I have steaks in vinegar. We will try that tonight and see how it is from there. I love finding new ways to cook.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WE love this recipe for grilled venison backstrap from AR.

2 pounds venison backstrap, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 quart apple cider
1 1/2 pounds thick sliced bacon
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice
Directions

Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbeque sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 more hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How you handle the deer while processing has some to do with the taste after processing but the age and sex of the Deer makes for more or less of the wild taste, as well as when you kill the deer (rut or not) and aging the meat (if you can) does a lot with how tough or gamey the meat will be, just like aging beef will.

i've slow smoked a loin on hickory or maple wood (what ready available for me), we soaked it in 7up for a few hours first then rinsed it with water and started a 250deg smoking for about 1/2 hour per pound. turns out nice. as for why 7up i don't know its how dad did it and it works so i'm not changing it.

as for the steak i've chicken fried a few last week and that was really good for the coating i used the gluten free bread mix, cajun spice mix, and powdered garlic, fried them up in a hot grease pan and had it with dirty rice and collards. :D

@Marianne I will be trying out the bacon and deer steak rolls this week! that sounds great! :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deer steaks-pound with a meat mallet tenderizer until it is mush. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour both sides. Drop in hot grease and brown on both sides. Make a gravy with the skillet drippings, mashed potatoes, corn, peas.............:drool

Heeeerrrreeeee Bambi! :lol: