Need some starting tips for Canning! UPDATED, new questions!

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am trying to learn how to can. I want to can our salmon as well as meals, along with veggies and fruit. etc. So from what I have read I need a pressure cooker. I'm looking at pressure cookers online, and I'm trying to find out what would be best for me. I want something that can can as many quarts as possible. I have a wood stove so size won't be a big issue, I don't think. My regular at home stove is a glass top.

Anyways I have a lots of questions!

I avoid aluminum cooking pans as much as possible, and since I will only be using the cooker for canning, will it matter that it's made from aluminum or should I look for a steel one?

Can I can rice in broth?

Do I need a water bath canner and a pressure cooker or just one?

What other smaller supplies do I need? I know I need the racks to keep jars off the bottoms, the clamps to pull the jars out of the water, and the funnels are really handy for preventing spills. Anything else?

Can someone reassure me how safe pressure canning is? Maybe give me a scenario where something could go wrong? I can't believe I am actually getting brave enough to do this possibly on my own. A friend said she'd teach me, but I don't have time right now to do it the way she wants.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
A wood stove will be very tricky for pressure canning. You have to constantly play with the temp throughout the process. You are not going to want to be lifting and moving it to slow it down.
Water bathing would work super well on the woodstove, but you can't bathe most things.

No need to get a separate water bath pan though, as you can use the canner with the lid off for that.
One thing I do know, the new style canners with the dial are harder to use, as you have to take frequent looks at it. The old style with the steam gauge are very nice, as you just have to listen for the changes in pressure.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I avoid aluminum cooking pans as much as possible, and since I will only be using the cooker for canning, will it matter that it's made from aluminum or should I look for a steel one?
I don't think they make steel canners. It does not matter anyways, as your food will not come in contact witht the canner. the glass jars will go in the canner

Can I can rice in broth
I don't think you can can rice. It would need to be pressure cooked due to lack of acidity, so therefore after the cooking times, it would be turned to mush.
I used my presure canner as a water bath canner, I just didn't seal the lid. Now I have a steam canner.

Are you paranoid about the actual pressure canner, or the safety of canned food? I was paranoid about the pressure canner, so I just steered clear of the kitchen while it was on the stove. As for safety, make sure youfollow intsructions, make sure the lids have sealed properly, that the food smells good when you open it, and it is also recommended to cook the food for 10 minutes before serving.

the most important thing about pressure canning safety is DO NOT OPEN THE LID WHILE STEAM IS STILL VENTING. after processing time, give it plenty of time to cool down before you open the lid.

And the first time you pressure can something, do a small batch, so if it is botched, you have not wasted alot of food. It takes a bit to get used to it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh yes--missed that! A woodstove would not be very reliable for even heat. I do believe you can can on a glass top.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Canning is a breeze once you try a few things. I would start with water bath canning then move on to pressure canning.

You can usually buy a water bath canner as a kit. It will have the enamel pan, tongs, plastic stick thingy and magnetic lid lifter and rack all included. The do sell the tools in a kit by them selves if you already have a large pot.

Be sure that you do not confuse a pressure cooker with a pressure canner. They are not the same thing.

My pressure canner is a Presto, I am pretty sure it's aluminum. I know NOTHING about canning on a wood stove but using a pressure canner and trying to control the heat would scare me to death. Maybe ask around some more on that one.

I don't think adding the rice is good. I think it would be to thick.

I use the little guide book that came with my pressure canner. It has good basic recipes, times and canning pressures.

Pressure canning is not that scary. I park a chair next to my stove top and put my feet up. Grab a book or magazine and kick back. It's really just a matter of watching the pressure gauge and making the tiny adjustments to the flame. When your time is up you shut off the fire and move the canner to the back burner. Your done. When the pan is cool, lock released, 0 pressure you open the pot.

Tada!!!

This site has tons of info, directions and recipies.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningsupplies.htm

Good luck!!!

g

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Youre going to want a pressure canner (not cooker). I use my pressure canner for water bath canning, too (just put the cover on without clamping it tight and leave the pressure gizmo off). Youll need jars, rings, lids, a funnel, a jar-lifter. I use mine on a glass-top stove, and I think Presto is the only one that is approved for that.

I was very nervous when I first started. It seemed so complicated! If you can, start with water-bath canning its a little easier - until you can get the hang of it. I took a free online canning class from the University of Georgia that really helped me understand the process.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope you have access to some canning jars. Buying new ones is incredibly expensive now. Last time I canned, (several years ago) they were selling for about 3.50 per dozen. Now I have seen them as high as 10.00! Regarding safety, I don't think the real number of accidents with pressure canners is high at all. It may chiefly be one of those urban legends, where "my cousin's wife's co-worker's mom's friend said she had a canner blow up." Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. And don't use jars that aren't for canning.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
When I first got my pressure canner I was pretty nervous about using it, but honestly it's so easy! I still read and follow the directions exactly just like it's my first time using it, so I make sure to do everything just right. And the lid clamps on, I don't see how it could be unsafe unless it fell or unless I didn't follow the directions. I'd definitely start by waterbath canning ,just so you get an idea on how it all works. Good luck!

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks!

What canner do ya'll recommend? I'm looking at this one. Although for now I will be using my brothers Presto since I need to get started asap. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. :rolleyes: My husband is heading out to get our years supply of salmon on Friday and I need to can and smoke what is left of last years before he arrives home.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to water bath can, except rhubarb. I have a small 6-8 maybe even 10qt water bath canner but since I bought it at a yard sale I don't have a rack or anything for it. Is there anything I can use as a rack? I might have a round cooling rack that might fit. Hopefully it doesn't have rubber feet!

ETA: My brother couldn't find the instructions for his canner. It doesn't have a gauge is there any instructions online for me to read?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I am trying to learn how to can. I want to can our salmon as well as meals, along with veggies and fruit. etc. So from what I have read I need a pressure cooker. I'm looking at pressure cookers online, and I'm trying to find out what would be best for me. I want something that can can as many quarts as possible. I have a wood stove so size won't be a big issue, I don't think. My regular at home stove is a glass top.
No idea on the wood stove, but I would think that regulating temperature would be an issue.

I regularly use both my water bath canner (really just a big stock pot) and pressure canner (handed down from my Mom) on my glass top stove. It's my understanding that "All-American" brand pressure canners aren't rated for glass-top stoves, but that Presto and Mirro brands are (mine's a 1970s Presto and works just fine).

Anyways I have a lots of questions!

As mentioned by others above, I believe they are all made of aluminum. Your food doesn't come into contact with the metal, so there should be no concerns. :)

Can I can rice in broth?
I don't believe it is recommended, because pressure canning would cook it down to mush.

If you want to can only high acid foods which includes most fruits, pickles, and tomatoes (usually with the addition of lemon juice for an acidity top-up) you only need a water bath canner. If you want to can low-acid foods which includes most veggies (other than tomatoes), any meats, soup stocks, or prepared "convenience" foods like soups/stews/chilis etc., then you need a pressure canner. :)

What other smaller supplies do I need? I know I need the racks to keep jars off the bottoms, the clamps to pull the jars out of the water, and the funnels are really handy for preventing spills. Anything else?

Can someone reassure me how safe pressure canning is? Maybe give me a scenario where something could go wrong? I can't believe I am actually getting brave enough to do this possibly on my own. A friend said she'd teach me, but I don't have time right now to do it the way she wants.
I grew up with my Mom and Grandma regularly pressure canning salmon, hamburger and other meats. My Grandma taught my Mom, as she didn't have electricity on her farm until well into the 60s and had to keep things without a fridge or freezer. I inherited my Mom's 18L Presto pressure canner a while back and now I have to say I'm totally hooked on it. Since the winter I've pressure canned ground bison (to add to anything you'd brown hamburger for to make a quick dinner), baked beans, various soups, plain pinto and black beans, chili, and I'm thinking about adding chicken chunks and beef chunks to my cupboard (again for ease in pulling together quick dinners).

It was a little daunting at first, but my first go at it was with plain pinto beans and it went off without a hitch and every jar sealed. To date I've only had one jar of ground bison (out of 4 pressure canner-loads) and one jar of jam (water bath canning) not seal up, we ate the bison in lasagne that evening and the jam went right into the fridge and has since been finished off.

I read, and then re-read the recipes each time I can. I read, and then re-read the canning instructions and pay careful mind to the processing time required plus the adjustment for my higher altitude (I'm at around 3500'). For water bath canning, the altitude adjustment lengthens the processing time. For pressure canning, the altitude adjustment increases the pressure (I process everything at 15lbs pressure).

Canning does take organization. I make sure everything is laid out and ready to go--jars go into the dishwasher for a "quick rinse" cycle (I keep them turned upside down in the cupboard or their boxes after washing them) while I get the canner on the stove and heating up. I wash, cut up, or otherwise prepare the food (for ground meat I brown it in batches and keep it hot in a large roaster in the oven) while the jars rinse and the water heats. Then I pop the jars into the canner to sterilize for 10 minutes, and I ladle some of the boiling water into a metal bowl over the flat lids a few minutes before they are needed. I also keep a tea kettle of boiling water handy to top up the canner or to heat the lids if needed.

When everything is ready to go I take out each jar and fill it, wipe the top rim to ensure it's clean and ready to seal, pop on a lid and screw on a band and then it goes into the canner. Once the canner is loaded I put the lid on and start timing the process once it's back up to a boil (or fully vented for 10 minutes and up to pressure for pressure canning).

While the jars process I clean up and get any dishes used washed and all the counter tops wiped down. I lay out a clean dry kitchen towel to receive the jars (hot jars will shatter if they contact cold water or counter tops). Then I potter around doing other kitcheny things or sit down with a book while everything processes. I leave the jars on the towel on the counter for 24 hours after processing, remove the rings to be washed and put away, and test the seal by pressing down in the middle of the lid and then gently lifting each jar by the edges of the lid.

It's a process I really enjoy, and I love seeing all the jars lined up on the shelves! It's so nice to be continuing a family tradition of putting up food for my family, and wonderful to know exactly what is in each jar of food. I've been water bath canning for years, but adding pressure canning to my repertoire has really opened up options for keeping convenience foods. We've totally stopped buying canned food (started the process 4 years ago when my oldest daughter did a science fair project on plastics--we have very little plastic in our life now, and always make sure that any plastic we do use is one of the "safer" plastics #2, #4, and #5) and my kids love hearing the "pop" as they open a jar of baked bean for beans on toast or a jar of soup to heat up and take for school lunches in a stainless steel thermos. And they love to put together a spaghetti dinner with a jar of home-canned ground bison, a jar of home-canned tomatoes, home grown herbs and spices etc.--we just need to start making our own pasta and it will all truly be from scratch!