Need your help finding a blog

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember reading on a blog about a way to go to the store and buy things for your pantry. It was written something like this " First, go to the canned fruit section and get five cans each of peaches, pears and oranges. Since you are there, pick up a few jars of applesauce. Then go down the aisle to the canned tomatoes...etc."

I cant for the life of me remember where I saw that! A friend of mine would like to start a "just in case" pantry and I thought that would be a good, easy start for her.
Thanks in advance!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are a lot of survival-type blogs that have lists like that. It's different for everyone, as to what one should stock in there "just in case" pantry.

I had a lot of canned fruits but because BPA is in all tin cans now, I'm "jarrning" a lot of fruits myself this year plus dehydrating, as always. Also dehydrate veggies, chicken, etc. Have hens for eggs (and chicken). Have goats for milk. Have indoor herb garden. Stock pasta, rice, beans/peas/lentils, amaranth, quinoa and other grains in half-gallon jars because we have mice. We don't do wheat berries or flour because we have 2 gluten-free people out of 3. Also stock up dark chocolate chips and dum dum suckers for treats in food-grade buckets.

That's just food. Remember other important things like something to clean water, medical supplies, sewing supplies, vinegar for cleaning and making pickles, extra eyeglasses, etc.

In this economy, everyone should take at least an extra $10 a week and buy a few things on the list that matches the household.

My opinion.